Do you have a big family to feed on a little budget? If so, you know just how challenging this can be. You want to ensure your family has plenty of delicious and healthy food to eat, but that’s a tall order to fill… especially without breaking your budget to smithereens. Luckily, thanks to the Internet (and awesome sites like Pinterest in particular), there are ways to come up with tasty and healthy cheap meals for large families. (Note that these meals aren’t just for big families: even if you have a small family, these recipes make great meals for large family gatherings, like holidays and family reunions!)
Coming up with cheap meals for large families does require a bit of creativity and occasionally the employ of some groceries shopping secrets, but it can be done! Here are 39 cheap meals for large families to get you inspired to eat well, live well, and save big.
I love crockpot recipes. First off, they tend to make awesome cheap meals for large families. Second off, they don’t require a lot of hands-on time. I can dump some ingredients in the crockpot, a.k.a. my secret weapon, and then go about my day knowing that dinner will be ready when my family gathers hungrily around the table later. Here are some of my favorite crockpot recipes:
1. Banana Nut Oatmeal (Freebie Finding Mom) – Start the day off right with a delicious, nutritious, and filling breakfast that won’t break the bank. (Not to mention, this recipe is customizable for each person in your family! One person hates bananas? No problem! Swap in a different fruit.)
2. Beef Stew (Freebie Finding Mom) – If you’re on the hunt for a hearty cheap meal for large families, look no further! This beef stew is a classic comfort food that every member of your family is sure to enjoy.
3. Chicken Cacciatore (Freebie Finding Mom) – Tired of cooking the same old thing every week? Try something new like this yummy chicken cacciatore–one of the cheapest meals for large families that is sure to knock your socks off!
4. Chicken Marsala (Freebie Finding Mom) – With only 9 ingredients, this cheap meal for large families is also quick and easy. It’s a win for your schedule and your wallet!
5. Turkey Chili (Freebie Finding Mom) – Cut calories without cutting taste with this healthy turkey chili recipe. Your family won’t even realize what they’re shoveling into their mouths is good for them.
6. French Toast Casserole (Freebie Finding Mom) – Opting for cheap meals for large families doesn’t mean giving up all of your family’s favorite dishes. Don’t believe me? Just check out this french toast casserole recipe.
7. Chicken and Salsa (Freebie Finding Mom) – Add a little spice to your life with this super simple, super yummy crockpot recipe. In fact, all you have to do to “make” this dish is dice an onion and toss everything in the crockpot… you won’t even break a sweat.
8. Ham and Potato Soup (Freebie Finding Mom) – What makes these cheap meals for large families even cheaper is the fact that many of them can serve as multiple meals. For example, serve up this soup for dinner and then take leftovers into the office the next day. It’s so good you won’t mind eating the same thing two days in a row.
9. Sweet and Spicy Beef and Peppers (Freebie Finding Mom) – This tasty crockpot recipe combines cozy home cooking with exotic Chinese takeout. I know, it sounds a little bizarre but try it; one bite, and you’ll be hooked.
10. Breakfast Casserole (Freebie Finding Mom) – This crockpot recipe is proof that cheap meals for large families can still be luxurious. I highly recommend you give this a try this weekend!
11. No-Boil Crockpot Baked Ziti (Thrifty Jinxy) – One way to save money on groceries is to forgo meat once in a while. This crockpot ziti recipe is a perfect example of how delicious a vegetarian dish can be.
12. Lemon Rice Soup (Simplee Thrifty) – On your quest for cheap meals for large families you’re going to have to be brave and try some new recipes. This one sounds strange but trust me, it’ll soon be a fan fav!
13. Meatloaf (Cincy Shopper) – When you do use meat, try to stretch it as far as possible to get the most bang for your buck. This crockpot meatloaf recipe allows you to stretch your beef since you mix it with other ingredients.
14. Vegan Barley Stew (Mama Likes to Cook) – Here’s another meatless cheap meal for large families. All you need is a few minutes of prep time, and the slow cooker will take care of the rest.
15. Chicken Tortilla Soup (Happy Deal Happy Day) – You’ll be shocked at how easy it is to make this cheap meal for large families. Literally all you have to do is dump all the ingredients in the crockpot.
16. Black Bean Chili (Totally the Bomb) – Just because you’re a vegetarian (or opting for meatless meals once in a while to save money), doesn’t mean you have give up your faves like mouthwatering chili.
17. Chicken Noodle Soup (Simplistically Living) – Whatever is ailing you, whether it’s a summer cold or an empty wallet, is no match for this hearty homemade soup.