Over the years, chicken has gotten a bad rep. When someone is acting scared or cowardly, we call him or her a “chicken”. We make jokes about chickens crossing roads for various reasons (or no reason at all). Many people think of chicken as a “boring” meat option.
I think it’s about time chickens fired their PR rep, because in reality, they’re awesome! 🙂 In fact, it’s my favorite meat!
Chicken has many accolades to put on its resume including being:
– High in protein.
– Lean (low fat).
– Good for your brain – According to Active Beat, chicken is high in tryptophan, an amino acid, which gives you a comforting feeling after consumption. In addition, eating chicken can increase serotonin levels in your brain which will enhance your mood, ease stress, and even help you sleep.
The benefits of chicken don’t end there! Check out the Active Beat link above for more tasty facts about chicken.
In addition to all the good things chicken can do for your body, inside and out, it also tends to be cheap and easy to fix. (If you don’t believe me, the 36 easy cheap chicken recipes in this article will prove it).
The next time you’re looking for a nutritious and delicious meal for your family that won’t break the bank or take all day to prepare, check out these easy cheap chicken recipes!
1. Chicken Cacciatore (Freebie Finding Mom) – One of the big problems I have with trying new recipes is many require the purchase of exotic (often expensive) ingredients that are difficult to use up. Not the case with this easy cheap chicken recipe! It requires just 11 ingredients, most of which you’ll probably already have on hand.
2. Chicken Marsala (Freebie Finding Mom) – Easy cheap chicken recipes don’t get much easier than this! All you do is dump the ingredients in the crockpot and let them cook for 5-6 hours. Seriously, that’s it.
3. Chicken and Salsa (Freebie Finding Mom) – Spice things up with this easy cheap chicken recipe. Tip: Control the spiciness level by choosing different salsas, adding more (or less) cayenne pepper, and adding in a diced up jalapeño (or two).
4. Best Grilled Chicken Recipe Ever (Freebie Finding Mom) – You know this easy cheap chicken recipe is amazing because it has the word “best” in its name, right? Adapted from a recipe used at Versailles Poultry Days, this recipe is sure to become an instant classic.
5. Southwest Skillet Chicken and Rice (Living Sweet Moments) – 30 minutes and one pot are all you need for this easy cheap chicken recipe. Turn to this tasty recipe when your day is especially hectic and you need something quick and satisfying for dinner.
6. Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder (Two Healthy Kitchens) – This easy cheap chicken recipe is absolutely perfect when you need comfort food. I highly recommend it for cold or rainy days where you just can’t seem to get warm.
7. Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Stew with Potatoes, Carrots and Tomatoes (Two Healthy Kitchens) – Has your child sworn off vegetables? He or she might reconsider with this easy cheap chicken recipe.
8. Manwich Chicken Pasta Skillet (Savvy Saving Couple) – This easy cheap chicken recipe is a tasty (and healthy) twist on a classic: Manwich. However, instead of the Manwich you grew up with, you add the sauce to chicken and vegetables. Trust me, it’s yummy!
9. Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Recipe (Happy Deal Happy Day) – Great for the gal (or guy) on the go, this easy cheap chicken recipe requires very little hands on time. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and the handy appliance (a.k.a. a mom’s secret weapon) will do the rest!
10. TGIF Cajun Chicken Pasta Copycat Recipe (My Heavenly Recipes) – Save money and cut calories by dining in on tasty easy cheap chicken recipes like this one. At a restaurant, this meal would cost about $14… but you can make it at home much cheaper than that. (Plus it’ll probably taste way better).
11. Crock Pot Chicken Over Rice (My Heavenly Recipes) – Give this recipe a try if you’re lacking confidence in your cooking skills. The chef behind this easy cheap chicken recipe says that it’s so simple her 3-year-old was able to make it!
12. Crock Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta (My Heavenly Recipes) – Feel like you’ve got no time to make dinner? I feel your pain! However, skip the greasy fast food and give this easy cheap chicken recipe a shot… you only need 5 minutes of prep time which is less time than it would take to hit the drive-thru.
13. Easy Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken (The Jenny Evolution) – This easy cheap chicken recipe is super versatile. You can serve the BBQ chicken with just about anything including using it as a topping for nachos. Game day anyone?
14. Chicken Enchiladas (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – The flavors in this easy cheap chicken recipe are so enticing you’ll be shocked to learn it only requires 5 ingredients. Yep, just 5.
15. Chicken Gyros (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – This easy cheap chicken recipe will take your tastebuds on a direct flight to Greece! Adapted from the gyros served at an authentic Greek restaurant, this recipe is sure to delight.
16. Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – If you’re craving Chinese takeout but it just isn’t in your budget, try this easy cheap chicken recipe. Trust me, it’s an awesome substitute for “the real thing” and all that’s missing is the fortune cookie.
17. Whole Chicken Slow Cooker (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – Need to feed a crowd or want to make enough meat to get your family through the week? No worries, easy cheap chicken recipes like this one are perfect. You’ll whip up a whole chicken with very little effort (which will be our little secret).
18. Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – The base of this easy cheap chicken recipe (the teriyaki chicken) requires only 3 ingredients! Which is great when you don’t want to invest a lot of money in trying a new dish.
19. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Over Rice (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – The chef behind this easy cheap chicken recipe says you can whip up a batch for as little as $6 (for a family of 5). Not too shabby, am I right? Don’t worry, you won’t be sacrificing taste. This dish is finger lickin’ good!
20. Chicken Corn Chowder (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – If you’ve had one of those days where you just need some comfort food, turn to this easy cheap chicken recipe. It’s hearty, delicious, and simply heartwarming.
21. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – One of the great things about many of these easy cheap chicken recipes is they can feed a crowd OR provide leftovers. This soup recipe is no exception. Unless you’re feeding a basketball team, you’ll probably have leftovers which are perfect for taking to the office the next day or serving for dinner a little later in the week.
22. Easy Homemade Chicken Pies and Mini Caramel Apple Pie Tarts (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – This is one of those easy cheap chicken recipes that looks much more complicated than it actually is. Not only is it simple to make, you can easily customize it to fit the ingredients you have on hand or personal tastes. For example, you could substitute leftover turkey for chicken or swap out some of the veggies.
23. Mini Chicken Pot Pies (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – The pot pies this easy cheap chicken recipe makes may be “mini” but they’re big on taste. Tip: If you have a little one that is super picky, this recipe may be a great way to persuade him or her to eat some chicken and veggies. For some reason, kids get a kick out of getting their own little pie.
24. Chicken Parmesan Sandwich (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – Just because you’re using an easy cheap chicken recipe doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste. This chicken parmesan sandwich is proof of that. It is not only delicious but decadent.
25. Slow Cooker Apricot Pork Chop or Chicken Recipe (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – 4 ingredients are all you need to pull off this easy cheap chicken recipe. This dish is perfect for when you need to get out the door; all you do is dump the ingredients in the slow cooker and go!