Are you dieting, feeling peckish, and a picky eater? Great, then you’re in for a treat! No, really—these 34 low calorie meals for picky eaters are nutritious and delicious. And whether you’re craving breakfast, dessert, or anything in-between, these low calorie and low fat meals for fussy eaters have got you covered!
For most of us, eating healthy is no simple affair. It requires more thought and time than simply grabbing a snack from the vending machine, ordering whatever catches your fancy on the menu, or cooking your favorite comfort foods. This is especially true if you (or those you cook for) are picky eaters. However, there are lick-the-plate-clean good AND healthy meals for picky eaters, adults and kids!
Thanks to the Internet, there are healthy recipes and low calorie meals for picky eaters everywhere. Don’t believe me? See if you can spend even 10 minutes on a site like Pinterest without reaching for your meal planner. I betcha can’t! 😉
In fact, eating healthy regardless of dietary restrictions or personal preferences has never been easier. There are a million dinner ideas literally at your fingertips! So grab a handful (or two) of printable recipe cards, tie on your bib, and sink your teeth into these 34 low calorie and low fat meals for picky eaters!
Healthy and Low Calorie Meals for Picky Eaters: Breakfast Recipes
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so be sure to start your day off right with nutritious, delicious, and healthy meals like these!
1. Healthy Gluten Free Breakfast Smoothie (Freebie Finding Mom) – Need breakfast on the go? Skip the drive-thru queue and grab this gluten-free breakfast smoothie instead! It’s a fast, easy, chocolate-y and healthy meal for picky eaters, adults and kids alike!
2. Coconut Oil Granola (Freebie Finding Mom) – Take advantage of the health benefits of coconut oil first thing in the morning with this scrumptious granola. I love that this recipe can easily be customized to you (or your family’s) preferences by swapping in different flavorings, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
3. Breakfast “Sushi” (My World Simplified) – This fun breakfast idea is perfect for vegetarians and a great way to use up leftover tortillas. Since you control what goes into your “sushi,” this can easily be a low calorie and/or low fat meal for fussy eaters! Simply swap out the ingredients that you or your kiddos don’t like or that aren’t diet-approved.
Bonus: Another thing to like about this healthy recipe is that the kids can help out (except for the slicing). If your kiddo fancies himself or herself a chef, this is definitely a recipe that they can get their hands dirty with (literally and figuratively).
4. Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Trying out the paleo lifestyle? Then the ingredients for this potato hash recipe should definitely be on your printable grocery list. Oh, and this hash isn’t just for breakfast; it’s actually scrape-the-plate get-every-last-crumb good anytime! 😉
5. Simple Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie (Eat Thrive Glow) – Get in an early morning dose of omega 3 fatty acids with this colorful, flavorful smoothie. Seriously, it tastes like summer, and might be one of the best low fat meals for picky eaters to chase away the winter blues!
6. Dark Berry Chia Smoothie (Lavende and Lemonade) – Smoothies are the perfect option for a busy morning, and this smoothie in particular is a great way to jump start your day. It’s sweet with just a touch of tartness and packed full of good for you stuff including Chia seeds, berries, and coconut oil.
7. Spiced Pumpkin Beetroot Muffins (Caroline’s Cooking) – Okay, we all love Starbuck’s pumpkin spice latte but what about pumpkin in other foods? This seasonal superfood has amazing health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and improving sleep so you should take advantage of it whenever you can … like with these spiced pumpkin muffins.
Healthy and Low Calorie Meals for Picky Eaters: Lunch and Dinner Recipes
When your coworkers head out for lunch or when the day gets away from you and the drive-thru at your favorite fast food restaurant is calling, turn to these easy, tasty, and healthy meals for pick eaters, adults or kids! By the way, opting to pack your lunch or eat at home is healthy for your body and your budget. Yep, it’s a great way to save money.
8. Goldfish Encrusted Chicken Nuggets (Freebie Finding Mom) – Looking for a secret weapon to help you win the war with your picky little eater? Look no further! My son loves these goldfish encrusted chicken nuggets, and I feel good about the fact that they are baked (versus fried) with no added preservatives.
9. Instant Pot Chicken Noddle Soup (Baking Beauty) – Low calorie meals for picky eaters can still be comfort food. Skeptical? This meal is sure to make you a believer! It’s healthy, hearty, warming, and ready in less than 30 minutes if you have an Instant Pot.
10. Low Calorie Lasagna with Zucchini (Health Beet) – Who doesn’t like homemade, ooey-gooey, cheese filled lasagna? And thanks to the zucchini, fat free cheese, and lean ground turkey, this recipe definitely qualifies as one of the low fat meals for picky eaters!
11. Low Carb Air Fried Chicken (Julia’s Simply Southern) – Fried chicken is a staple of summer picnics and get-togethers, but if you’re on a diet, you probably thought fried chicken was off the menu for the foreseeable future, right? Luckily, thanks to the air fryer, it’s entirely possible to make low carb, healthier fried chicken.
12. Zucchini Pizza Bites (A Few Short Cuts) – Whether you’re throwing a party and want something figure friendly to snack on or are looking for something (anything) healthy the little ones will eat, this low carb and low fat meal for picky eaters is the answer. Yes, you can enjoy pizza without all the calories and fat that come with crust and sneak some veggies into your family’s diet. Don’t worry, those extra veggies will be our little secret. 😉
13. Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Roasted chicken, seasoned vegetables, brown rice, and fresh guacamole … is your mouth watering yet? Mine is!
14. Grilled Chicken with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Tired of “boring” grilled chicken? Wish you could wow your family and friends this summer with something new, exciting, and healthy? Wish granted! With the addition of the raspberry balsamic glaze this is a fun and fresh healthy meal for picky eaters, adults and kids alike!
15. Roasted Vegetables and Sausage (Delicious Meets Healthy) – This healthy recipe is loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamin A, and much more. Add it to your list of low calorie meals for picky eaters by using chicken or turkey sausage.
16. Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Get a jump start on dinner by marinating chicken breasts and vegetables the night before. Not only will this save you time the next evening (all you’ll have to do is skewer and grill them for about 10 minutes), it’ll also ensure the meat and veggies are tender and flavor-filled!
17. Greek-ish Vegetable Empanadas (Caroline’s Cooking) – Hearty, filling, and stuffed with vegetables, these empanadas are a great comfort food. And while you might not normally think of them as low fat meals for fussy eaters, you can easily customize the filling to fit your tastes.
Tip: Make an extra big batch of these empanadas to ensure you have leftovers. They re-heat well and are perfect for lunch at the office the next day! 🙂
18. Marathoner’s Zucchini Ribbon Lasagna (Just 2 Sisters) – Using zucchini strips in place of some of noodles results in a low carb but still filling lasagna. Bonus: At only 320 calories per serving, this recipe definitely counts as a low calorie meal for picky eaters!
19. Pizza Kabobs (Mama of 3 Munchkins) – Does your family love pizza? Whose doesn’t? Save your waistline (and your wallet) by trying out this twist on pizza—pizza kabobs.
Healthy and Low Calorie Meals for Picky Eaters: Snack Recipes
Snack time is probably the most challenging time for those of us trying to eat healthier. There’s just so much sugary, salty temptation! When the vending machine or leftover cookies are calling your name, turn to these low calorie and low fat meals for picky eaters.
20. Coconut Oil Popcorn (Freebie Finding Mom) – Kick back in the comfort of your own home for movie night. Even if you pay to rent a movie from iTunes, Amazon, or RedBox you’ll save big by not paying for movie tickets and snacks. Make the night complete with this healthy recipe for popcorn popped in coconut oil.
21. Orange Juice and Fruit Popsicles (Freebie Finding Mom) – This summer, beat the heat with a cool treat. No, I’m not talking about ice cream. Instead, go for homemade fruit popsicles that are lower in calories and sugar and rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants.
22. Vitamin Gummies (Freebie Finding Mom) – Okay, this isn’t technically a snack or low calorie meal for picky eaters, but your kids are bound to love these gummies so much they’re sure to want more than just one. These homemade all-natural vitamins are perfect for helping your little ones (and even yourself) fight off any nasty germs.
23. Sweet Potato and Kale Veggie Chips (Freebie Finding Mom) – Salty and crunchy—what’s not to love about chips? Oh, right, the calories and fat! Well, guess what, you don’t have to say goodbye to chips in order to get healthy; instead, opt for these veggie chips to get your chip fix and give yourself a superfood boost!
24. Frozen Yogurt Bark (Freebie Finding Mom) – Craving ice cream? Stop that craving cold (haha, get it?) with some healthy frozen yogurt bark! You can cut carbs and calories further by lessening or even leaving out the granola.
25. Crunchy Cinnamon “Sugar” Chickpeas (Strength and Sunshine) – Satisfy your sweet tooth with this crunchy snack. It’s gluten-free, vegan, and sugar-free. Yep, you read that right, sugar-free.
26. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen) – Hummus, which is made primarily from chickpeas, can help regulate your cholesterol and blood sugar levels. You can customize your hummus in about a hundred different ways from adding garlic to extra peppers. Try pairing it with raw vegetables (like broccoli) instead of chips or pretzels to keep it healthy.
Tip: If you simply must have chips with your hummus, opt for veggie chips like those made from kale and sweet potatoes (see #23).
27. Homemade Nutella (Eat Thrive Glow) – Looking to treat your heart? Try this homemade Nutella spread. It’s rich in hazelnuts which are known to help maintain a healthy cholesterol level. You can use Nutella in a variety of other dishes making this an awesome addition to some of the other low fat meals for fussy eaters in this article.
28. Healthy Chocolate Mockshake (Snappy Gourmet) – Some days just demand a chocolate milkshake … but that doesn’t mean you have to wreck your diet. This healthy recipe for picky eaters (adults and kids) is gluten-free, has no added sugar, and can be made dairy-free.
29. Baked BBQ Zucchini Chips (A Few Short Cuts) – Do you love barbecue chips? What better food is there for a summer picnic? Now you can add a little nutritional value to that summer treat by swapping potatoes for zucchini.
30. Crunchy Apple Chips (Living Sweet Moments) – Believe it or not, you can also make chips out of apple slices. If you’ve struggled to get your little one to eat fruit, this recipe may just do the trick! These apple slices are also a great accompaniment to your brown bag lunch.
Healthy and Low Calorie Meals for Picky Eaters: Dessert Recipes
Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about the most important meal of the day—dessert! 😉 Here are some sweet low calorie and low fat meals for picky eaters!
31. Cinnamon Sugar Protein Donuts (Oh Clary) – Guilt-free donuts? Sounds sorta like a mythical creature, right? Wrong! These donuts have just 63 calories each and 6 whole grams of protein!
32. Chocolate Date Balls (Cake Whiz) – Made from a combination of nuts, coconut, and dates, these have a decedent fudge texture but are secretly pretty darn good for you.
33. Chocolate Beetroot Brownie Bites (Caroline’s Cooking) – While this might not be the healthiest recipe ever, in comparison to normal brownies, this healthy “meal” for picky eaters rocks! Filled with beetroot, coconut milk, dates, and almonds with very little sugar, it’s scrumptious, gooey, and simply irresistible.
34. Easy Mini Berry Tarts (Confessions of an Overworked Mom) – Work some fruit into your diet (as well as your children’s) by passing it off as dessert. Trust me, with these sweet and tart berry treats, no one will question whether or not this counts as “dessert.”
These 34 healthy (and mostly low calorie) meals for picky eaters are sure to get you and your family excited about changing your diet. What are some of your favorite healthy food options? Share in the comments!
Oh, and if you need options fit for a large family, get ready for seconds! Here are 39 cheap meals for large families.