Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Beef and Peppers
If you’re like me, in the winter, you like to fix your family hearty soups and stews to keep them warm and full. It helps that many of these cozy meals are quick and easy to make thanks to a busy mom’s secret weapon: The slow cooker. I’m particularly fond of this slow cooker beef stew recipe because it takes a comforting classic and puts a new twist on it without loosing any of the deliciousness that makes beef strew a winter favorite.
This slow cooker beef stew recipe for sweet and spicy beef and peppers is a fusion of classic beef stew and Chinese takeout. It sounds a little odd but try it for yourself and you’ll see just how delicious it is. Bonus: This slow cooker beef stew recipe doesn’t have the high sodium and MSGs found in many a Chinese takeout meal so you can feel good about what you’re serving your family.
Don’t let the word “spicy” in this slow cooker beef stew recipe scare you off either. You an easily tweak the level of spiciness to suit your family’s taste buds.
Need more easy, delicious and flavorful meals? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Crockpot Recipes Pinterest board.
2 lbs. stew beef
3 bell peppers
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup beef broth
½ cup water
2 Tbsp. parsley
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¾ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick spray or rub well with oil.
2. Pour beef broth into slow cooker.
3. Place beef in the bottom of the slow cooker.
4. Dice onions and peppers into large pieces then add to slow cooker.
5. Crush garlic cloves then add to slow cooker.
6. Sprinkle parsley, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar over top of ingredients in the slow cooker.
7. Cook on low for 7 hours.
8. In a separate bowl whisk water and cornstarch, add ½ cup of juice from slow cooker.
9. Stir cornstarch mixture into beef and peppers, cook for an additional 20 minutes.
10. Serve over rice or noodles.
Want to make this slow cooker beef stew recipe for sweet and spicy beef and peppers even healthier? Forgo the rice and noodles all together or pick a brown rice or whole grain noodle.
Marie Monti says
Is it possible to get nutrition analysis on this recipe, mainly sodium. Thank you. Recipe sounds delicious.
Barb @ A Life in Balance says
Looks like the perfect meal for a busy weeknight! I pinned it to my Simple Dinner Slow Cooker board.