No matter who you are—student, parent, teacher—the start of a new school year can be stressful. Get inspired and motivated (or just have a good laugh) with these 32 first day of school quotes!
If you’re a parent, I’m sure you know that the back-to-school season leading all the way up to that first day of school can be stressful. There’s about 1,000,001 things to do on top of your already overbooked schedule. Not to mention the strain on your budget…. However, this time of year can also be stressful for kids and teachers.
Psst! If time and money, or lack thereof, have you stressed out use this back-to-school checklist to get organized and these ways to get free school supplies by mail or in person to save money.
Kids may feel anxiety about entering a new classroom, potentially being separated from last year’s BFFs and having to learn all new, harder material. It can be especially intimidating if your child is facing a drastic change such as going to a brand new school, whether a new district or just moving from say elementary to middle school, or a change in learning environment such as going from distance learning back to the classroom. And teachers … well, I think we can all agree they’ve got a big job on their hands, right?
So, potentially, we’re all feeling the stress and pressure right now as fall, and the return to school, creeps closer. Take a deep breath, and help inspire and reassure yourself and your child with these 32 motivating and funny first day of school quotes for parents, students, and teachers!
Education, Learning, and First Day of School Quotes for Students
Let’s kick things off with just some general education, learning, and first day of school quotes for students. Hopefully these quotes will get your child thinking about how powerful education and the opportunity to learn is as well as the fact that even famous people went to school. One way you could use these first day of school quotes for students is to turn them into lunchbox notes.
Lunchbox notes like these free printable Halloween lunch notes are just little surprise messages you sneak into someone’s lunch to brighten his or her day. (They aren’t just for kids; if a special someone in your life has a big day at work, sneak him or her a lunchbox note!) You could write one of these first day of school quotes on a template, like the printable heart templates cut outs, printable star templates, or printable four leaf clover templates (for luck). 🙂
1. “I’ve always loved the first day of school better than the last day of school. Firsts are bests because they are beginnings.” – Jenny Han
2. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
3. “I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.” – Lily Tomlin
4. “We don’t stop going to school when we graduate.” – Carol Burnett
5. “A new school year means new beginnings, new adventures, new friendships, and new challenges. The slate is clean and anything can happen.” — Denise Witmer
Bonus: Start your kid off on the right foot this school year by having him or her set back-to-school goals. Having your child think through what he or she hopes to accomplish in the upcoming year can be a great way to help uncover anxieties and work through them before the school bell rings!
6. “You have to stay in school. You have to. … Because that’s the one thing people can’t take away from you is your education. And it is worth the investment.” — Michelle Obama
7. “School is a building which has four walls with tomorrow inside.” – Lon Watters
8. “Education doesn’t just make us smarter. It makes us whole.” – Jill Biden
9. “The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.” – B.B. King
Bonus: Is your child an overachiever or someone who strives for perfection? If so, one of the things causing him or her anxiety about the new school year might be feeling unconfident about the learning material. Boost your kid’s confidence with some of these educational worksheets and printables:
- 3 Free Printable Book Report Templates
- 15 First Day of School FREE Printables
- 7 FREE Printable Back to School Word Searches
Education, Learning, and First Day of School Quotes for Teachers
Teachers have an incredibly important job to do, right? So let’s honor and inspire them with some learning and first day of school quotes for teachers specifically!
10. “If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.” — Chinese proverb
11. “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” — Henry B. Adams
12. “Good teaching is more a giving of right questions than a giving of right answers.” — Josef Albers
13. “Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher.” — Japanese Proverb
How can you use these first day of school quotes for teachers? Consider writing them in a card, such as one of these 3 Free Printable Teacher Appreciation Cards or on a gift, such one of these 25 DIY Teacher Gifts.
Confidence Boosting First Day of School Inspirational Quotes
If your kid is really anxious about heading back to school, hopefully these confidence boosting quotes will help! Most of them aren’t specifically “first day school” inspirational quotes but they’re definitely inspirational. That means you can use many of these quotes for a variety of occasions, so be sure to hang on to them! 🙂
14. “The only approval you need is your own.” – Amanda Gorman
15. “You must do things you think you cannot do.” – Elenor Roosevelt
16. “The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.” – Marvin Phillips
17. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” – Audrey Hepburn
18. “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so … get on your way!” – Dr. Seuss
19. “Don’t try so hard to fit in, and certainly don’t try so hard to be different…just try hard to be you.” — Zendaya
Bonus: If your kid is struggling with self-confidence and self-esteem, consider having him or her complete these printable self-esteem worksheets. Hopefully they’ll help your child see just how great he or she truly is! 🙂
Also, coloring can help promote relaxation. In fact, it can produce results similar to meditating. So if your child (or you!) needs to unwind, consider turning to these back-to-school coloring sheets or these printable bookmarks to color.
20. “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” — Albert Einstein
21. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier
22. “I loved school so much that most of my classmates considered me a dork.” — Natalie Portman
23. “At school, nobody thought I was smart, and I became smart. Nobody wanted to be my friend, and then I had lots of friends.” — Rebel Wilson
24. “What was previously perceived as nerdy is now viewed as original. What I like about nerdiness, geekiness, is it doesn’t really matter what you’re into. It just means you’re not a follower.” — Kristen Bell
25. “I’ve got a theory that if you give 100 percent all the time, somehow things will work out in the end.” – Larry Bird
26. “You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great.” – Les Brown
27. “Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen.” — Conan O’Brien
28. “This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change.” — Taylor Swift
Not sure how best to use these first day of school inspirational quotes? Consider writing them on lunchbox notes or on something else your child will look at regularly. For example, you could write an inspirational quote on their homework chart or daily planner page.
Education, Learning, and First Day of School Quotes for Moms and Dads
Okay parents, these funny first day of school quotes are for you! Admit it, amid all the running around, you could use a good laugh. Cut loose with these school and first day of school quotes for moms and dads! 😉
29. “In school they told me Practice makes perfect. And then they told me Nobody’s perfect, so then I stopped practicing.” – Steven Wright
30. “We all learn by experience but some of us have to go to summer school.” – Peter De Vries
31. “My dad could always find the bright side. Whenever I brought my report card home from school, he’d say, ‘Well, at least I know you didn’t cheat’.” – Greg Tamblyn
32. “You know there is a problem with the education system when out of the three R’s, only one begins with R.” – Dennis Miller
These funny first day of school quotes for parents hopefully brought a little comic relief to your day. However, if it’s time to get back to work, here is something else that might bring a smile to your face—tips on how to save money on school supplies!
- Free School Supplies for College Students
- Free School Supplies: Where to Find Them
- How to Get School Supplies for Free or on the Cheap
And, just like you took a break to enjoy these first day of school quotes for moms and dads, I hope you’ll take a break to celebrate your kid’s academic progress. One great way to mark the occasion is with customizable free first day of school sign printables. Another option are these adorable first day of school chalkboard sign printables.
More Quotes to Inspire You
The first day of school inspirational quotes (and funny quotes) are great … for the first day of school, but they aren’t the only occasion where a heartfelt or humorous quote might come in handy. From Mother’s Day to bill paying day, here are some other quotes that may bring a smile to your face!
- 15 Homemade Mother’s Day Ideas: Poems and Quotes Gifts
- Money Management Quotes That Will Make You Think or Crack You Up
- 10 Funny Father’s Day Quotes – Guaranteed to Make You Laugh!
- 3 Printable Inspirational Quote Coloring Pages for Adults
- 3 Inspirational Printable Quotes
Leave a Reply