Word and letter flashcards are a classic language learning tool. If your kid is ready to meet the ABCs and start building pre-reading skills, you can’t go wrong with these printable letter flashcards (PDF downloads)! Choose from two different sets of uppercase and lowercase letter flashcards, pre-colored and black and white.
There are a lot of different ways you can help your child master the alphabet, but a mainstay is uppercase and lowercase letter flashcards. And there’s a reason for that. In fact, there’s a lot of reasons to love letter flashcards in general and these letter flashcards PDF downloads specifically. Top of my list is that they’re low cost high reward; in other words, these uppercase and lowercase flashcards are cheap yet powerful!
You may be wondering “Why printable letter flashcards? There are like a million letter flashcards online, including letter flashcards apps.” Fair question. Here’s why I prefer one of these letter flashcards PDF downloads to letter flashcards apps:
- Too much screen time may be unhealthy for young children. For instance, the World Health Organization recommends no screen time at all for kids under 2, and less than an hour a day for kids 2 to 5.
- Letter flashcards apps require you to have power (or a charged battery) and may also require Internet access (or cell service). You don’t need any of that to use printable letter flashcards.
- Letter flashcards online may not be as effective. Look, kids aren’t known for their long attention spans and ability to laser focus on things, and screens offer a lot of distractions, which can impact your child’s ability to concentrate and retain information. This isn’t just my opinion—according to the American Psychology Association, “the evidence is strong that screens aren’t an effective teaching tool for the baby and toddler set …”.
Those are just some of the reasons I prefer these printable letter flashcards over letter flashcards online. So let’s dive in and talk about what you get with these two sets of flashcards as well as some of the benefits of flashcards in general!
Pre-Colored Printable Letter Flashcards
There are 26 letter flashcards in each set, one for each letter of the alphabet. Each card has the letter in uppercase and lowercase as well as a cute baby animal that starts with that letter. For example, the letter B flashcard has both “B” and “b” on it as well as a baby bear. This set of the uppercase and lowercase flashcards is pre-colored and ready to go!
The animal on the flashcards isn’t just there to add an extra dose of cuteness. By having your kid associate each letter with an actual thing (an animal) not only is he or she more likely to remember those ABCs, these actually become letter sound flashcards PDFs. In other words, if your child says the letter and the animal aloud, he or she will begin to understand at least one of the sounds a letter can make.
Building familiarity with the ABCs and pre-reading skills aren’t the only cognitive and mental benefits of using upper and lowercase letter flashcards. They also:
- Promote the identification of objects.
- Strengthen recall.
- Enhance visual memory.
- Build confidence.
Bonus: Another thing I love about these printable letter flashcards PDF downloads is that you can use them in multiple ways. Obviously, you can use them in the traditional way and as letter sound flashcards PDFs, but with a little creativity, you can easily gamify the use of flashcards. For example, you could turn them into a matching game.
Ready to Color Printable Letter Flashcards
This set of letter flashcards is identical to the first set except the animals are in black and white. This allows you to use the flashcards as a learning experience as well as a craft project. Yep, your kid can spend extra time with those ABCs by coloring each animal. By adding color to these letter recognition and letter sound flashcards you’re:
- Stimulating creativity.
- Encouraging self-expression.
- Developing fine motor coordination.
- Promoting relaxation.
As much as I love these printable letter flashcards, they may not be the absolute best learning tool for all kids. There are four different learning styles (see below), and depending on which style works best for your child, a different tool may work better for teaching the ABCs.
- Visual (spatial)
- Aural (auditory)
- Verbal (linguistic) – which can include writing, reading, and/or speaking.
- Physical (kinesthetic)
If you don’t feel like letter recognition and letter sound flashcards fit your child’s learning style, be sure to check out these other fun and frugal learning tools:
- And when your kid is ready for a challenge—Free Uppercase Printable Cursive Alphabet Letters and Free Printable Lowercase Cursive Alphabet Letters
Bonus: Need a little inspiration? Read Free Printable Letters – Printable Alphabet Letters & More to get ideas on even more ways to put alphabet templates to good use!
Printable Letter Flashcards and the Letter Worksheets Bundle
The printable letter flashcards PDF downloads are part of the much larger printable letter worksheets bundle, which includes a wide variety of tools geared toward helping your child master the alphabet and build pre-writing and pre-reading skills. In addition to the two sets of letter flashcards, the letter worksheets bundle includes:
- Letter Recognition Worksheets – 52 separate worksheets spanning both uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Letter Tracing Worksheets – A tracing sheet for each letter of the alphabet.
- Preschool Letter Worksheets.
- Kindergarten Letter Worksheets.
- ABC Chart Printable for Kids – Two versions, one that is pre-colored and one that is waiting for your child’s artistic touch!
- Words That Start With [Insert Letter] – 26 worksheets.
- Words That Start With “A”
- Words That Start With “B”
- Words That Start With “C”
- Words That Start With “D”
- Words That Start With “E”
- Words That Start With “F”
- Words That Start With “G”
- Words That Start With “H”
- Words That Start With “I”
- Words That Start With “J”
- Words That Start With “K”
- Words That Start With “L”
- Words That Start With “M”
- Words That Start With “N”
- Words That Start With “O”
- Words That Start With “P”
- Words That Start With “Q”
- Words That Start With “R”
- Words That Start With “S”
- Words That Start With “T”
- Words That Start With “U”
- Words That Start With “V”
- Words That Start With “W”
- Words That Start With “X”
- Words That Start With “Y”
- Words That Start With “Z”
Leave a Reply