All busy moms (and dads) have a cache of secret weapons that allow them to take care of business without going absolutely bonkers. Some of my favorite secret weapons are:
- The slow cooker – great for everything from making chili to cheesecake
- 3 ingredient recipes
- Freezer meals – for example these freezer pancakes
Today, I’d like to introduce you to another secret weapon of mine: Box cake mix recipes. I’ve shared box cake mix recipes on the Freebie Finding Mom blog many times in the past; however, I’ve never really expanded on the idea.
Box cake mix recipes allow you to save time and money when making baked goods like cookies, cakes, and muffins. This is especially true because you can often find coupons to get boxed cake mix for around $1. Box cake mix recipes also allow you to easily customize the flavor of your baked goods as you can choose from a wide variety of flavors at your local store.
I know some people think of box cake mix recipes as “cheating” but not me. Look, I’m still adding in other ingredients, mixing stuff together, and doing the actual baking. In my book, box cake mix recipes are a shortcut… the final product is still “homemade”. And if you’re a busy mom with about a million things to do I’m confident you’ll feel the same way! 🙂
Thanks to the Internet, largely Pinterest, there are a lot of box cake mix recipes to choose from. Here are some of my favorites:
Box Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
1. Reese’s Pieces Cookies in a Jar (Freebie Finding Mom) – This box cake mix recipe makes a fantastic frugal gift for any occasion. I’m particularly fond of using this gift when you don’t know someone that well because hey, who wouldn’t like to get some cookies?! 🙂
2. Cookies and Cream Cookies (Freebie Finding Mom) – Looking for an easy cookie recipe? Look no further. 5 ingredients and 20 minutes are all you need whip up this box cake mix recipe.
3. Strawberry Milkshake Cookies (Freebie Finding Mom) – Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day or throwing your daughter a birthday party, these pink hued cookies are sure to hit the spot. You’ll save money with this box cake mix recipe because you don’t have to use real strawberries which are pricy year round not to mention in February!
4. Chocolate Christmas Cookies (Freebie Finding Mom) – Here’s another box cake mix recipe that makes a fantastic (and inexpensive) gift. Don’t let the fact that they’re labeled as “Christmas cookies” prevent you from giving them year round… trust me, chocolate and M&Ms are good anytime!
5. Egg Free Cake Mix Cookies (Three Different Directions) – Forgot to grab eggs at the store? No worries, you can still enjoy delicious cookies thanks to this box cake mix recipe.
6. Springtime Filled Cake Cookies (Thrifty Jinxy) – These fun colored cookies would be great for Easter, a rainbow party, or any spring celebration. You can make this box cake mix recipe even quicker and easier by using store bought frosting. Although, if you have time, don’t be afraid to try taking on homemade frosting… it isn’t nearly as hard as you think.
7. Birthday Cake Cookies (Couponing For 4) – This box cake mix recipe is a fun twist on the traditional birthday cake. If you have a strong sweet tooth, you could even frost them for a little something extra!
8. Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies (The Thrifty Couple) – Strawberries and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly, am I right? This box cake mix recipe is a great way to get these two ingredients together.
9. Key Lime Coconut Cake Mix Cookies (Mom Fabulous) – Trying to think outside the cookie jar? This box cake mix recipe is certainly unusual but don’t be afraid… it’s still delicious. If you wanted to add a little extra coconut flavor and texture you could mix some shredded coconut into the cookies.
10. Black and White Cake Mix Cookies (Ann’s Entitled Life) – Sugar cookie meets brownie in this box cake mix recipe. Yum! Note to self: Try to let them cool before you start shoveling them into your mouth! 🙂
11. Lemon Cake Mix Cookies (Thrifty DIY Diva) – If you’ve got more of a savory palette than a sweet tooth, this box cake mix recipe will be right up your alley. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and sour… so pucker up.
12. Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies (Thrifty T’s Treasures) – Cool whip and cake mix? Yes, please! This box cake mix recipe calls for just 4 ingredients but it’ll be our little secret just how easy it is to make.
14. Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies (Baking Beauty) – Craving a soft, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth cookie? Ask and you shall receive. This box cake mix recipe will have you swearing off store-bought cookies forever.
15. Super Easy Cake Mix Cookies (Jen Goode’s 100 Directions) – This super easy box cake mix recipe is one the kids can help out with. They’ll have a ball decorating the cookies with various colored sprinkles.
16. Cookie Sandwich (Everyday Savvy) – Not a big frosting fan? You can still take advantage of this box cake mix recipe. Eat the cookies by themselves or make ice cream sandwiches.
Box Cake Mix Cake Recipes
17. Lemon Cake In a Jar (Freebie Finding Mom) – I love mini desserts and desserts in jars as they’re usually around 3-5 bites worth of indulgence which is just enough to calm my sweet tooth down without going overboard. This box cake mix recipe for lemon cake is a light and refreshing dessert option that I think is great after heavier meals.
18. Butter Pecan Bourbon Cake with a Kentucky Bourbon Glaze (DIY Budget Girl) – This box cake mix recipe results in an end product that just looks like something that would come out of your mother’s kitchen. In other words, it looks like homemade comfort food. If you’re not feeling up to tackling the homemade bourbon icing, you could just dust powdered sugar over the cake.
19. Pistachio Refridgerator Cake (DIY Budget Girl) – If you’re up for trying unusual flavor combinations than this box cake mix recipe should definitely be on your list. Pistachios work surprisingly well in this recipe so don’t be too nervous!
20. Easy Summer Peach Cake (Growing Up Gabel) – Dreaming of summer days and barbecue season? Then this box cake mix recipe is a dream come true! Plus, it has fruit in it so it’s good for you, right? 😉
21. Smores Chocolate Fudge Cake (Kenarry) – Longing for nights spent around the fire toasting marshmallows for smores and telling ghost stories? This box cake mix recipe is the next best thing and a great addition to any camping trip when a fire isn’t possible.
22. Caramel Apple Coffee Cake (Kenarry) – This flavorful box cake mix recipe requires only 10 minutes of prep time so place it on your go-to list for when you need to make a tasty treat in a hurry. I think this coffee cake would be awesome for a church carry-in, book club meeting, or just about any gathering as it isn’t too sweet nor is the apple flavor overpowering.
23. Double Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cake (Ally’s Sweet and Savory Eats) – If you’re game to take on this delicious box cake mix recipe, be sure to read the chef’s tips on making the dulce de leche sauce.
24. Classic Coconut Cake (Ally’s Sweet and Savory Eats) – Looking for an out-of-the-box cake to whip up? Need it in a hurry? No problem! This box cake mix recipe looks elegant and perhaps elaborate but it’s really quite simple and definitely tasty!
25. Decadent Chocolate Cake (Mission To Save) – There’s a reason chocolate cake is a classic, am I right? This box cake mix recipe gives the classic a bit of a makeover while still staying true to its chocolatey goodness!
26. Sunflower Peeps Cake with Homemade Chocolate Frosting (Mission To Save) – Whether you’re looking for a cute summer cake or are just a fan of Peeps, this box cake mix recipe is for you. Again, be sure to read the chef’s tips before getting started to ensure the best results.
27. Cherry Dump Cake (Become a Coupon Queen) – I love this box cake mix recipe. It’s easy, quick, and requires very few dishes to make which means I can enjoy a piece with my family instead of washing a sink full of dishes.
28. Blueberry Lemon Dump Cake (Happy Deal Happy Day) – This box cake mix recipe is a great way to use up blueberries if you ever find yourself with too many on hand. It’s simple, quick, and sweet without being too sweet. This dish would definitely be an asset to any backyard summer barbecue.
29. Captain America Cake (Cleverly Simple) – Is your little one a fan of Captain America? If so, thanks to this box cake mix recipe, you can make him a cake worthy of a hero without the hefty price tag. Don’t worry, superhero decorating skills are not required!
30. Gooey Butter Cake (Cleverly Simple) – With the word “butter” in the title, you just know this box cake mix recipe is going to be good, am I right? This cake has a grown up feel that many frosted cakes simply lack but it’s still a sweet and fun treat.
31. Moist Lemon Cake (Cleverly Simple) – If you’re a fan of lemons, put this box cake mix recipe on your list of dishes to try. Bonus: It only requires 15 minutes of prep time making it the perfect option for busy weeknights.
32. Pumpkin Surprise Cake (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – Can’t get enough pumpkin? I know it’s traditionally a fall food but you can buy canned pumpkin year-round at the grocery store. So… enjoy this box cake mix recipe whether it’s October or June!
33. Spice Cake With Rum Cream Cheese Frosting (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – This versatile box cake mix recipe can easily be customized to fit your preferences. For instance, the chef says, “You can use vanilla extract rather then rum. You can add diced apples to the cake or raisins, or anything else your imagination can come up with that goes well with the flavor of spice cake.” Don’t be afraid to get creative!
34. Black Russian Cake (I’m Bored Let’s Go) – Cake is all grown up in this box cake mix recipe that includes vodka and Kahlua in the batter.
35. Strawberry Poke Cake (Baking Beauty) – The chef claims no one will ever guess this cake originated from a box cake mix and I have to say I believe her. And trust me… there will not be leftovers.
36. Oreo Poke Cake (Baking Beauty) – Can’t get enough Oreos? Is that a rhetorical question? Take 10 minutes to whip up this box cake mix recipe… you won’t be sorry!
37. Triple Chip Zucchini Spice Cake (Farm Fresh Feasts) – Trying to trick your little one (or hubby) in to eating more veggies? This box cake mix recipe might just do the trick. Sure, it’s loaded with sweet stuff like hot chocolate mix, vanilla pudding mix, and chocolate chips but it also contains 2 cups of shredded zucchini for a nutritional boost.
38. Strawberry Lemon Bundt Cake (Farm Fresh Feasts) – Here’s another box cake mix recipe that may convince your little one to eat something semi-healthy, in this case strawberries. I love the use of fresh berries in this recipe and can’t wait to try it using local strawberries from the farmer’s market!
39. Harvest Cake (Rock-A-Bye Parents) – Sneak some apples into your family’s diet with the help of this box cake mix recipe. Tip: Save some calories by leaving the frosting off.
More Box Cake Mix Recipes
40. Super Easy Pumpkin Muffins (Thrifty Jinxy) – Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast? Just turn to this box cake mix recipe for super quick and easy muffins. What better way to start your day, am I right?
41. ChocoFlan (Living Sweet Moments) – The dual layers of this cake give it a super elaborate appearance. No one will ever suspect it’s really the result of a box cake mix recipe!
42. Fudgy Cake Mix Brownies (Because I’m Cheap) – No matter what baked good you’re craving, box cake mix recipes have got you covered. Here’s an easy and extra fudgy brownie recipe to try. Warning: Prepare for chocolate overload!
43. Birthday Cake Fudge (Couponing For 4) – Looking for a special treat for the birthday girl or boy? Look no further than this box cake mix recipe for fudge. This recipe is incredibly simple so don’t be afraid to get the kids involved.
44. Easter Bunny Cake Truffles (The Thrifty Couple) – A good truffle at a place like Godiva will cost you over $1 a piece… but you can make your own adorable (and delicious) truffles at home for pennies. Don’t believe it? Check out this box cake mix recipe and prepare to be amazed!
45. Hershey’s Kisses Carrot Cake Cream Cheese Trifle (Mom Fabulous) – Here’s a really unique box cake mix recipe that’s sure to please. Can’t find the carrot cake Hershey Kisses? No worries, while the recipe won’t taste the same, I think you could easily substitute a different variety. May I suggest caramel?
46. Easy Easter Cupcakes (Ann’s Entitled Life) – While these box cake mix recipe cupcakes are supposed to be for Easter you could leave off the Peeps and voilà! You’ve got cupcakes for any occasion.
47. Star Wars Storm Troopers Cupcakes (Centsable Momma) – I’m not sure who will adore this box cake mix recipe more: Your son or your hubby! Whip these up for a Star Wars party no one will soon forget.
48. Easy Minions Cupcakes (Centsable Momma) – These super cute cupcakes look like they were made by a pro but don’t let that scare you away from this box cake mix recipe. They’re actually pretty easy to make… even if you are a little DIY challenged.
49. Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes (The Tip Toe Fairy) – This is a fun (and easy) twist on your traditional pecan pie. I love this box cake mix recipe because sometimes family gatherings are just too big for 1 pie and cupcakes just make a little more sense.
50. Purple Cow Cake Batter Cream Slush (The Tip Toe Fairy) – Guess what… box cake mix recipe can even help you beat the heat. If you’ve got kids that beg to hit up the ice cream truck each and every summer, try handing them a glass of purple cow instead.
51. Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats (The Tie Top Fairy) – Ooey-goey, sticky Rice Krispy treats are great, right? Well they just got even greater thanks to the addition of box cake mix. Recipes like this are a must have for busy moms who frequently find themselves required to make dishes for bake sales, carry-ins, sports events, etc. on the fly!
52. Easy Carrot Zucchini Banana Muffins (Frugal Minded Mom) – Want to make sure your kids are getting some nutritional content from their breakfast? Try plopping one of these muffins on their plate. This box cake mix recipe includes bananas, carrots, and zucchini making it a great choice especially over sugary cereals. Bonus: A batch only requires 5 minutes of prep time.
53. Cake Mix & Sprinkles Chex Muddy Buddies (Ashlee Marie) – If you’re family is brave enough to undertake a car trip, be sure to bring along plenty of snacks. All those pitstops for food and drinks will really drain your wallet. This box cake mix recipe is a great sweet option for road trips.
54. Cake Batter & Sprinkles Fudge (Ashlee Marie) – Are you a little intimidated to try making homemade fudge? Face your fear with the help of this irresistible box cake mix recipe.
55. Cake Batter & Sprinkles Dip (Ashlee Marie) – Okay, this box cake mix recipe probably negates any of the health benefits of the fruit you dip in it but still… you may see your little one actually willingly eat a piece of fruit! I know, it’s like seeing a unicorn. 😉
56. Birthday Cake Batter & Sprinkles Ice Cream (Ashlee Marie) – There’s not many things better than grabbing some ice cream with the family on a hot summer night. Unfortunately, my wallet disagrees. In fact, I think I hear it screaming in pain every time I walk into an ice cream parlor. Thanks to this box cake mix recipe my family and I can still indulge in a cool treat and my wallet can breathe easy.
57. Gooey Red Velvet Bars (Baking With Mom) – Not only is this a box cake mix recipe but it is also a 3 ingredient recipe… so technically, it’s 2 secret weapons in one! Yep, you read that right, you only need 3 ingredients to make the “cake” portion of these red velvet bars and another 3 for the cream cheese “frosting”.
58. Spiced Caramel Apple Crisp (Baking With Mom) – If you find apples on sale, I highly recommend snapping them up and using them in this box cake mix recipe. It is a super easy and tasty way to turn apples into dessert.
59. Chick Cupcakes (Thrifty Northwest Mom) – Here’s another bite-sized dessert that’s perfect for those of us who need something sweet but don’t want to over do it. Although this box cake mix recipe does look almost too good to eat. I said almost.
60. Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes (Everyday Savvy) – If you can get your hands on fresh fruit (especially local fruit), this box cake mix recipe is a must-try. It looks elaborate and like something for a “special” occasion but it’s really quite simple.
61. Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino (Everyday Savvy) – Trying to give up Starbucks for the sake of your wallet? Reward yourself with this frugal box cake mix recipe that is reminiscent of a Starbucks caramel frappuccino without the frighteningly high price tag.
62. Easy Sprinkles Gooey Cake Bars (Everyday Savvy) – If ooey-goey desserts are more your style, I recommend turning to this box cake mix recipe. It is sure to be a fav that won’t last long in your home.
63. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Baking Beauty) – In my opinion, few things go together better than chocolate and peanut butter which is why this box cake mix recipe is a must-try. You’ll love both the taste of these cupcakes and the lack of time they take to put together.
64. Cherry Almond Squares (Accidental Happy Baker) – Cherry pie and coffee cake got together to make this delicious crowd pleaser. This box cake mix recipe is a frugal way to feed a crowd so keep it on hand for big family get-togethers.
Well there you have it, my favorite box cake mix recipes. If you think you can handle more sweet stuff be sure to follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Cookie Recipes, Cakes & Cupcakes Recipes, and Decadent Desserts Pinterest boards.