This 5 ingredient DIY activated charcoal face mask will clean out your pores and detoxify your skin leaving you with smoother, younger looking skin!
You may not realize it, but your face takes a lot of abuse, especially if you’re a woman. From the layers of makeup we cake on to the repeated sun exposure, your facial skin does not have an easy go of it. Ironically, facial skin is a lot more sensitive than other areas so it’s sort of a double injury, if you think about it.
Luckily, there are some relatively easy steps you can take to protect your face and one of those is using this charcoal face mask to clean out clogged pores and detox.
Other than this activated charcoal face mask, you can keep your facial skin healthy by:
- Always removing makeup at the end of the day
- Cleaning the makeup brushes you use to apply makeup
- Always wearing sunscreen
- Washing your face daily
- Avoiding harsh chemicals (one way to do this is to use DIY bath and beauty products)
Now, you may have heard about black charcoal face masks before because they are quite popular (and for good reason!). However, many of the charcoal face mask DIY recipes I’ve seen use harmful ingredients. For instance, there are some charcoal face masks that actually call for Elmer’s glue! Do not put Elmer’s glue (or any glue) on your face. Glues (like those used by my kiddo at school) are chemical based and can cause many more problems for your sensitive facial skin. Instead, look for natural beauty recipes like this activated charcoal face mask.
This particular charcoal face mask DIY recipe calls for just 5 ingredients, none of which are used by preschoolers for craft projects! 🙂
Quick side note, it is not just homemade charcoal face masks that may use harmful ingredients. Those you find at the store can also be filled with chemicals. Before putting anything on your face (or skin, in general) be sure to read the ingredients. For most individuals, especially those with sensitive skin, I recommend sticking with natural bath and beauty products (like this charcoal powder face mask) whenever possible.
In addition to having very few ingredients, this charcoal powder face mask is quite quick to make. It calls for just 4 easy steps so you can whip up an activated charcoal face mask in less than 5 minutes and with no more effort than running your microwave.
So, if you’re ready to detox your face and reveal fresher, younger looking skin, let’s get started with this black charcoal face mask!
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask
*Makes one charcoal face mask
1. Heat water in microwave until it is nearly boiling or at least very warm.
2. Add charcoal powder, clay, gelatin, and aloe vera to a separate bowl.
3. Slowly pour hot water into the bowl while mixing ingredients.
Note: You need to mix quickly.
4. Allow the charcoal face mask to cool just enough so that it is comfortable to the touch.
1. Wash your face.
Note: You can simply use warm water or this customizable mint and aloe face wash, which by the way, is great for acne! 🙂
2. Apply the charcoal face mask to your face in a thick layer using an upward motion.
Note: I like to use a wide soft paintbrush to apply my activated charcoal face mask, but you can also use your fingertips.
3. Allow the black charcoal face mask to dry completely, about 20 to 30 minutes.
4. While you’re waiting, place a well dampened washcloth in the refrigerator to chill.
5. Peel the charcoal powder face mask gently away from your face.
Tip: You may find that removing your charcoal face mask is a bit uncomfortable. If the peeling process becomes too painful, you can simply rinse the activated charcoal face mask off with cold water.
6. Pat your face with the cool washcloth to reduce redness.
7. Apply your favorite moisturizer, like this anti-aging face moisturizer.
Note: This black charcoal face mask should be used once a week. Keep in mind that this charcoal face mask does not keep well, so make only one mask at a time.
Loving what this charcoal face mask is doing for your skin? Consider trying some other DIY face masks; here are a few of my faves:
- Banana face mask – This is a great all purpose face mask that can be customized to meet your needs. For example, add honey to moisturize.
- Avocado face mask – This face mask is fabulous at reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and skin irritation such as redness.
- Matcha green tea and honey face mask – This gentle face mask can reduce the signs of aging, sooth inflammation and redness, and even help with acne breakouts.
- Anti-aging face mask – If you’re at war with the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles, this is the face mask for you!
- Oatmeal and honey face mask – If you suffer from acne, this face mask is about to become your secret weapon. 🙂
- Yogurt face mask – The yogurt in this face mask contains lactic acid which can help dissolve dead skin and debris that accumulates in the pores as well as aid in shrinking pores.