Summer is here! That means it is time to say hello to longer, warmer days drenched in golden sunlight. Unfortunately, if you aren’t careful, it also means that it is time to say hello to skin burnt to a painful red crisp by that summer sun. Ouch! Sunburn is not fun. Period. In addition, that sun exposure can up your risk of health problems such as skin cancer. This summer protect yourself and your loved ones by learning how to make homemade sunscreen.
Sure, you could skip learning how to make homemade sunscreen and just pick up a bottle at your local store but if you’re looking for a natural, chemical free remedy for you and your family, I highly recommend this homemade sunscreen recipe. This particular recipe for homemade sunscreen is rich in natural ingredients (such as coconut oil) that will not only protect your skin but nourish it. There are no unpronounceable ingredients or questionable chemicals here!
Learning how to make homemade sunscreen is not difficult. In fact, all you have to do is melt a few ingredients on your stovetop or in the microwave, stir in a few essential oils, and voilà, you just successfully concocted homemade sunscreen! In fact, you can learn how to make homemade sunscreen from scratch in under 10 minutes.
Let’s get started so you can head outdoors and enjoy the summer and all of its sunshine!
How To Make Homemade Sunscreen
Many of the ingredients in this article on how to make homemade sunscreen have a natural SPF but since this is a natural recipe that has not been tested by a regulatory organization, I can’t make any claims as to the combined SPF. Here is a look at the SPF levels of the individual ingredients:
Coconut oil – 4-6 SPF
Almond oil – 5 SPF
Shea butter – 4-6 SPF
Carrot seed oil – 28-40 SPF
Zinc oxide – 2-30 SPF
Lavender essential oil – 6 SPF
Myrrh essential oil – 15 SPF
1. Add coconut oil, beeswax, Shea butter, and cocoa butter to a small saucepan or microwave safe dish.
2. Melt the ingredients. If you are melting in a saucepan, stir regularly to mix ingredients and heat evenly. If you are melting in the microwave, heat in 20 second increments, stirring between each interval until fully melted.
5. Transfer to a squeeze bottle using a funnel.
Note: Sunscreen should keep for at least a year.
Want to learn other DIY tips and tricks like how to make homemade sunscreen? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.