When was the last time you cleaned any of your makeup brushes? If you’re like most women, the answer is something along the lines of “Wash them? I need to do that?”. In fact, according to Cosmopolitan, a whopping 72% of women admit they never wash their makeup brushes. If that’s you, it’s time to change your ways, and this homemade makeup brush cleaner can help.
Cleaning your makeup brushes (with or without this homemade makeup brush cleaner) should be something you do regularly. Not cleaning them can lead to:
Makeup, debris (ex. hairspray), dead skin, oil, bacteria, and more can build up on your makeup brushes. When you use a dirty brush on your face you’re essentially smearing all of that gunk on your skin. This can lead to clogged pores and you know what clogged pores mean, right? Acne. Yep, those breakouts you’re battling may not be due to diet, a defective product, or stress; in fact, they could simply be a side effect of your grungy makeup brushes.
Note: While using this homemade makeup brush cleaner even once a month can help prevent unsightly acne, you can also prevent clogged pores by removing your makeup with something like these homemade makeup remover pads. If you do find yourself struggling with acne, try this DIY grapefruit face wash and homemade acne spot treatment to minimize breakouts.
As mentioned above, a variety of things in your environment, including bacteria and viruses, can build up on makeup brushes. When you use those brushes, you could be exposing yourself to things like staphylococcus, streptococcus, e coli, fungus, and pink eye (Escobar, 2015). These germs can be prevented or your exposure minimized by using this homemade makeup brush cleaner.
If you’re not using this homemade makeup brush cleaner (or some other cleaner), you’re essentially throwing money away. Allowing your makeup brushes to become completely caked with product will quickly make them fit for nothing but the garbage can. Protect your budget and extend the life of your brushes by using this homemade makeup brush cleaner on a regular basis!
Yep, dirty makeup brushes can cause wrinkles. Dermatologist Dr. Debbie Palmer explains, “Dirty makeup brushes can expose the skin to oxidative stress from free radicals, which causes a breakdown of collagen and elastin and can result in premature aging.” Yikes! Prevent wrinkles by using this homemade makeup brush cleaner and this homemade anti-wrinkle cream.
That old dirty makeup brush you’ve had for the last decade is looking pretty icky right about now, am I right? Don’t worry, this homemade makeup brush cleaner is super quick and easy both to make and use, so your brush will be squeaky clean in a matter of minutes. In fact, making this homemade makeup brush cleaner is as easy as 1, 2, and 3. (So you have no excuse not to give it a try!)
Plus, one thing that I really love about this homemade makeup brush cleaner is that it is all natural. You aren’t trading grime for potentially irritating chemicals.
Ready? Let’s get to it!
Homemade Makeup Brush Cleaner
1. Combine water, witch hazel, castile soap, and coconut oil in a Mason jar.
2. Add Lavender essential oil to your desired scent strength.
3. Place the lid on the jar and shake well to combine ingredients.
1. Shake the homemade makeup brush cleaner well before each use.
2. Pour a small amount into a bowl and swish brush around in the mixture.
3. Allow brush to soak in homemade makeup brush cleaner for 1 minute.
4. Rinse brushes until the water runs clean and lay flat on towel to dry completely.
Note: I do not advise drying your brushes upright on either end.
You can use this homemade makeup brush cleaner as often as desired; however, once a week would be totally fine. At a minimum, you should use this homemade makeup brush cleaner once a month.
Now that your brushes are squeaky clean, you can try some of these more fun homemade beauty recipes like:
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.