Cut your food costs and keep your family full with these cheap meals for large families and budget family meals.
58 Budget Family Meals
How much does your family spend each month on groceries? If you’re like the average American family, the answer is about 11% of your income (source: USA Today). According to Business Insider, the median US household income is a smidge over $59,000 a year. Take 11% of $59,000 and you get $6,490 a year or $540 a month for food. Does that sound about right?
Psst If you have no idea what you spend each month on groceries, it’s time to start a budget! Use this printable household budget worksheet to get started today.
Anyway… back to the food. If you’re concerned about your food expenses, there are easy ways to cut costs. For example, you can save money by using a weekly menu planner as well as by utilizing frugal recipes like these budget family meals.
Budget family meals don’t have to be boring or skimpy. Nope, they can be tasty, filling, and utterly satisfying. Below are 58 of my favorite budget family meals that are sure to become family favs. Bon appetit!
Chicken Budget Family Meals
1. Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker Recipe (Freebie Finding Mom) – This is one of my favorite budget family meals because of the low price tag and because of how easy it is to make. It’s perfect for busy week nights (are there any other kind?) since the slow cooker does so most of the work.
2. Chicken Marsala Crockpot Recipe (Freebie Finding Mom) – A characteristic many cheap dinner meals share is common ingredients. This one is no exception. While this crockpot recipe has 9 ingredients, most of them (ex. butter, basil, and oregano) are probably already lingering in your kitchen.
3. Crockpot Chicken Sausage and Peppers (Freebie Finding Mom) – Not only is this a cheap meals to cook, it’s also a very hands off dinner option. All you need to pull of this crockpot delight is about 10 minutes of prep time.
4. Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken (Freebie Finding Mom) – Another common characteristic of cheap easy meals is a lack of ingredients. In other words, very few ingredients are needed to make the recipe. This tropical tasting chicken recipe only calls for 3 ingredients, none of which are exotic, so it’s definitely easy on your budget!
5. Easy Chicken Taco Soup Slow Cooker Recipe (Freebie Finding Mom) – This soup recipe offers a flavorful twist on Taco Tuesday that the fam is sure to love, especially in the winter. I love budget family meals, like this one, that make delicious leftovers we can enjoy the next day.
Bonus: Not only is chicken healthy and versatile, it can also be a very budget friendly ingredient. Put this ingredient to good use; here are 36 cheap chicken recipes to inspire you.
6. Crockpot Chicken and Salsa (Freebie Finding Mom) – Remember how I said cheap dinner meals didn’t have to be boring? Here’s proof! Spice things up with this Spanish inspired recipe. It’s flavor-filled and easy, thanks to the crockpot.
7. Easy Ranch Chicken (Sharing My Favorites) – 3 ingredients are all that stand between you and this cheap meals to cook! Oh, and better yet, all you have to do is add them to the crockpot and then kick back and relax. 😉
8. Slow Cooker Applesauce Chicken (Strength and Sunshine) – Show me cheap easy meals, like this one, that my picky little eater might actually consume and I’m sold! I love how this recipe calls for just 2 ingredients, is sweet and savory, and gluten free.
9. Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken (Strength and Sunshine) – This budget family meal is tender, delicious, and easy thanks to your handy crockpot. Plus, it’s healthy, gluten-free, and paleo friendly.
10. Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Carrots (Mom Foodie) – Opting for chicken thighs (over chicken breasts) is an easy way to turn a recipe into a cheap dinner meals as chicken thighs tend to be a more inexpensive cut.
Bonus: Observing Meatless Monday is another way to cut costs at the grocery store. Here are 18 meatless meals that are so good you won’t even miss the meat!
11. Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken (Strength and Sunshine) – There’s a lot to love about this cheap meals to cook. A.) It’s frugal. B.) It’s perfect for summer. After all, who doesn’t love a good BBQ dish during the summer months? Plus, you don’t even have to turn on your oven to whip this recipe up. C.) The slow cooker does a lot of the work for you.
12. Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet (To Simply Inspire) – All the fresh ingredients in this cheap easy meal make it a low carb healthy option that I love feeding my family. Plus, it’s a one pot meal which means cleanup is a breeze!
13. Chicken Chili (Recipes From a Pantry) – Chili is a staple in many homes, especially during football season. This chicken chili recipe remake makes chili a little bit healthier while still keeping it a budget family meals option. This awesome recipe includes a slow cooker and an instant pot version.
14. Easy Bruschetta Chicken (Ann’s Entitled Life) – Cheap dinner meals can still be impressive. This recipe is a great example. It’s light, fresh, and full of flavor yet still inexpensive. I love that it’s ready to devour in just 35 minutes!