A Keurig is undoubtably a convenient way to get your morning going. It allows you to brew a single cup of coffee in seconds without scooping messy grounds or even pouring water. In addition, you can have your favorite flavored cup of Joe and the hubby can have something completely different. However, while a Keurig may be convenient it isn’t magical… you still have to take care of it. Yep, you need to know how to clean and how to descale a Keurig.
If the word “descale” is freaking you out right now, take a deep breath. It isn’t as bad (or gross) as it sounds but you should learn how to clean a Keurig. Not only does knowing how to descale a Keurig keep your machine hygienic it also keeps it functioning at full power.
Don’t worry, properly cleaning a Keurig isn’t difficult. Trust me, grasping how to descale a Keurig is easier than figuring out how to use the thing the first time you plug it in! Bonus: I’ll bet you have all the ingredients you need to clean a Keurig in your kitchen right now.
For more tips like how to descale a Keurig and how to clean a Keurig follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board.
What You’ll Need:
In order to properly master how to clean a Keurig and how to descale a Keurig you’ll need:
– Hot water
– Dish soap
– Drinking water (preferably filtered water)
– Cloth (like a dish rag)
How to Clean a Keurig:
1. Fill your kitchen sink halfway with hot soapy water.
2. Remove drip tray and put it in the sink to soak.
3. Remove k cup holder and place it in sink.
4. Use a toothbrush to scrub the needle that pierces the cups to remove any grounds that may clog the opening and decrease function.
5. Wash, rinse, and dry parts.
6. Return parts to Keurig.
How to Descale a Keurig:
1. Remove any used cups from the holder.
2. Fill water reservoir ¾ of the way full with vinegar.
3. Place a cup underneath the Keurig then run the machine (so that the vinegar is pulled through the Keurig and deposited in the cup).
4. Repeat step 3 until there is no longer enough vinegar left in the reservoir to fill a cup.
5. Fill the reservoir ¾ full of filtered water and run the machine.
6. Repeat step 5 until there is no longer enough water left in the reservoir to fill a cup.
7. Wipe down the outside of your machine with a damp cloth and a gentle cleaner.
Guess what – you just learned how to clean a Keurig, and your Keurig is ready to use!
FAQs on how to clean a Keurig and how to descale a Keurig:
Q: How often should I descale a Keurig?
A: You should run through the steps on how to descale a Keurig every 2-3 months.
Q: How often should I clean a Keurig?
A: You should run through the steps on how to clean a Keurig (wash the reservoir, k cup holder, and drip pan) approximately once a week.
Q: Is there anything else I should be doing to maintain my Keurig?
A: Be sure to check out the manufacturer’s manual or website for tips. For example, your machine may have a filter that needs changed or cleaned periodically.
If you don’t want to use this article to descale a Keurig, there are special solutions you can purchase like this one: Keurig Descaling Solution. If you are interested in using the Keurig Descaling Solution be sure to check out this video.