Trying to entertain yourself on a budget? Or worse yet, trying to entertain kids on a budget? That’s tough! Luckily, there are some easy ways to find fun free things to do “near me,” that don’t involve watching TV all day!
Check Your Favorite Blog for Fun Free Things to Do “Near Me”
Even if they aren’t local, your favorite lifestyle, parenting, or frugal living blogs can be great resources for finding “fun things to do near me for free.” You know, like FreebieFindingMom.com? 😉
The blogs will share tips and tricks that will help you stay on budget, coupons and freebies, and of course, downloadable activity that won’t cost you anything other than a piece of paper and a little ink. Seriously, staying tuned into the latest posts on your favorite blogs is an excellent way to find unconventional yet fun free things to do “near me” today, like right now! 🙂
Here are some sections to pay attention to on FreebieFindingMom.com:
- Free Printables – From coloring sheets to bubble letters to birthday cards (and everything in-between), if you’re looking for indoor appropriate free things to do with kids “near me,” these printables are the answer!
- Freebies for Kids – While they’re called “freebies for kids,” these are also for Mom and Dad … trust me, every parent knows just how awful the chorus of “I’m bored is!” 😉
- Freebies – Not all of these are things to do near me for free. In fact, a lot of these are how to score free things, but definitely be sure to check them out since they can help you get the things your family needs (or wants) without blowing your budget.
Bonus: And if your focus is more on free stuff vs. things to do near me today for free, be sure to check out these articles:
Psst! A lot of the tips in the “Find Free Stuff Near Me – 6 Quick Ways To Snag Freebies” article can also be used to find free things for kids to do “near me!”
Use the Internet to Find Free Things to Do “Near Me” Today
Outside of your favorite blogs, the Internet in general can be a quick and easy way to find “fun things to do near me for free!” For example, you can simply go to Google (or your preferred search engine) and type in “free things to do with kids near me” or “things to do near me today for free.” And I know it sounds a smidge creepy, but a lot of times Google knows where you are so you don’t even have to specify where “near me” is!
Another great Internet option for finding free activities is social media, specifically Facebook. Most communities have unofficial Facebook groups geared toward community events and news. Do a quick search for yours and join up! Keep in mind that there might be more than one depending on the size of your neighborhood, town, or city.
Once you get added to the group be on the lookout for fun and frugal events or as long as it doesn’t violate any group rules, don’t be afraid to ask about “free things for kids to do near me!” Usually members of Facebook groups are super happy to share their ideas. Just be considerate and remember, don’t just take from the group, be an active participant. 🙂
Summer Things to Do “Near Me” for Free
Depending on where you live, late spring and summer can be one of the easiest times to find fun things to do “near me” for free. That’s because you have the great outdoors at your disposal! From hiking to farmer’s markets (you don’t have to buy anything), from playgrounds to neighborhood festivals, there’s just so much to see and do without breaking open your piggy bank! 😉
When it comes to free (or cheap) things to do “near me” this summer, check out:
- HUGE List of FREE (Or Nearly FREE) Summer Activities For Kids
- 33 Cheap or Free Summer Activities for Teens
Other great resources for finding fun free things to do “near me” this summer include your:
- Local library.
- City or county website.
- Bulletin boards at local gathering places like coffee shops or grocery stores.
- Local newspaper or news channel.
Most of those places will have event calendars or notices that will alert you to events like “things to do near me today for free” or “free things to do this weekend near me!”
It’s All Fun and Games … Free Things to Do with Kids “Near Me”
Would you like to play a game? I know your kids would! 😉 Luckily, there are plenty of free games that are fun for kids of all ages … even grown up kids. When it comes to fun games, here are some free things for kids to do “near me:”
- Google Doodle Games – There is a new Google Doodle each day! (Just head to Google to see it.) Sometimes the Google Doodle is a fun (and free) interactive game, like the Scoville Game, in which ice cream tries to defeat hot peppers!
- BINGO – You can easily make your own bingo game at home. Another option is this not free but inexpensive Christmas BINGO Game, which is totally fun regardless of whether it’s the holiday season or the middle of the summer!
- Word searches – Word searches and other puzzles are great because they’re fun and educational. You can find tons of free printables online, but here’s a hard word search printable puzzle for kids to get you started.
- Free printable travel games are a great free family thing to do “near me,” even if the “near me” is changing (because you’re on the road)!
- Outdoor games – If the weather is cooperating, take the fun and games outside! Here are 25 outdoor party games for kids that are great for kids of all ages. (Note: Not all of these are free but I think most of them would qualify as “free or cheap things to do near me.”)
- Free printable bridal shower games – Wait, what? Yep, part of finding things to do near me for free is thinking outside the box! Get creative and look for ways to repurpose activities that would generally be used for other occasions. 🙂
No so Fun Free Things to Do “Near Me”
Okay, thinking about going back to school isn’t exactly the stuff legends are made of, so while these freebies won’t top your fun list, you, as the parent on a budget, will appreciate them! Yep, one of the free things to do “near me” today is snag some free school supplies. Silver lining: Adding school supply shopping to your “free or cheap things to do near me” list may allow you to allocate more funds to fun family activities!
Here are some articles with tips on getting free school supplies for kids of all ages, including college students:
School supplies aren’t the only thing your kid needs to head back to the classroom. Here are some other free family things to do “near me” to get ready for school.
- 15 First Day of School FREE Printables – These printables are for kids and parents and include back to school signs, book covers, and lunchbox notes!
- Free Printable Back to School Coloring Sheets – Coloring sheets are a fun and frugal family activity that can squeeze in a little extra quality time before the school bell rings. 🙂
- 7 Free Printable Back to School Word Searches – These word searches can help awaken those critical thinking skills before your child returns to the classroom.
- Freebie: Back to School Checklist – This one is for you, Mom and Dad! This checklist will help parents stay organized amidst all the back-to-school craziness.
- How to Set Back to School Goals – Set yourself and your kids up for success this year with some well defined goals.
- Free Homework Chart Printable – Stay organized by having each child use a free homework chart to keep track of assignments.
- 3 Free Printable Book Report Templates – If your kid has a book report on his or her to-do list these free templates can help!
Do you have other tips or tricks for finding fun free things to do “near me?” If so, share your favorite in the comments!