Summer is here and that means grilling season. This is an especially delicious time of year…unfortunately, it can be an unhealthy time as well. It’s all too easy to pack on the pounds by indulging in your favorite summer foods like macaroni and cheese, ice cream, and barbecue. Let’s be honest, gaining weight is never healthy, but summer is one of the worst possible times to “bulk-up”. After all, you can hide winter weight with sweaters but a bikini doesn’t lie.
Let’s talk about some healthy options. Keep in mind that healthy doesn’t mean bland or unappetizing food. For example, at your next cookout, instead of breaking out a bag of greasy chips, whip up a batch of homemade sweet potato chips and kale veggie chips. With these yummy homemade sweet potato chips, you won’t be sacrificing taste but you will be giving everyone a nutritional boost.
Bonus, making these sweet potato chips and kale veggie chips isn’t hard, so you don’t have to slave away while all your friends and family members are enjoying the sunshine.
For more healthy and delicious recipes, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s low calorie recipes Pinterest board.
Homemade Sweet Potato Veggie Chips
Makes approximately 2 servings. Best when served the same day as they can get stale quickly.
2 medium size sweet potatoes, washed
Salt & pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tbs. Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 tbs. vegetable or canola oil (if opting to use Olive Oil you will want to reduce your oven temperature).
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes about 1/8” thick. I used a mandolin for a nice even cut. I also left the skins on my potatoes although you can peel them if you would like.
3. In a small bowl toss the potato slices in the oil, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. After they are completely coated spread out evenly on a 9×13 baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. After 10 minutes use a spatula to flip so they cook evenly.
Homemade Kale Veggie Chips
Makes approximately 4 servings. Store in an airtight container for several days.
1 large head of Kale – washed and patted dry with paper towel.
1-2 tbs. of vegetable oil (if opting to use Olive Oil you will want to reduce your oven temperature).
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Tear the kale leaves into small bite size pieces.
3. Next toss the kale into a large freezer bag or medium size bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss so the leaves are coated.
4. Spread the leaves out evenly on a 9×13 baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt (I just did it by eye).
5. Bake 10-12 minutes. After about 8 minutes use a spatula to flip so the chips do not burn. Once the leaves start to turn golden brown and get crispy remove from the oven to prevent burning.
Have you tried these homemade sweet potato chips and kale veggie chips? What did you think? Share your feedback in the comments!
Terri S says
These look so good. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Thank you for sharing. These sound great.
ria clarke says
Awesome! can’t wait to try this recipe. yum!
Chelsey Jones says
This looks great!
Edna Williams says
I’m not much on sweet potatoes and kale, but these look so good, I may have to give them a try! Thanks for sharing!
Amy P says
The sweet potato chips sound especially delicious.