Homemade Natural Sunscreen Lotion Bars
If your skin and the sun just can’t seem to get along, I’ve got a product you have to try this summer: Homemade natural sunscreen bars. They’re very similar to these homemade lotion bars with coconut oil but they also have ingredients to shield your skin from the sun.
I love this homemade natural sunscreen meets homemade lotion bars. You can soak up some sun without fear all while getting super soft and supple skin thanks to the coconut oil. Seriously, it’s a dream product. Bonus: No harmful chemicals. These homemade natural sunscreen bars are (you guessed it) all natural. No harsh chemicals, unpronounceable ingredients, or potentially irritating dyes. These homemade lotion bars are safe for individuals with sensitive skin and for children.
Don’t be afraid to have a little fun when tackling this super easy DIY project. While I chose to make my homemade natural sunscreen bars square, you can use any mold for yours. How about homemade lotion bars shaped like seashells, stars (like starfish), or other “summer” inspired shapes? If you live someplace where sunscreen is necessary all year round, consider various seasonal shapes to fit upcoming holidays.
Tip: Since one set of ingredients for these homemade natural sunscreen bars will make multiple bars, consider giving extras as gifts. For example, these homemade lotion bars would be an interesting twist on party favors for kids. (Maybe pair them with this fish-in-a-bag soap?) You could also pair these homemade natural sunscreen bars with other DIY beauty products for a cute and useful gift basket/gift set.
So, this summer, catch some rays without fear thanks to these homemade natural sunscreen bars!
Oh, and if you forget your homemade lotion bars and find yourself suffering the sun’s wrath, consider whipping up a batch of this homemade sunburn relief cream.
Once you discover just how awesome these homemade natural sunscreen bars are, you’re going to be inspired to try other DIY projects (trust me). Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board for more ideas.
1. Grate 1/2 cup shea butter.
2. In a glass measuring cup, combine shea butter, beeswax, and coconut oil.
3. Microwave for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through.
4. Mix in zinc oxide, vitamin E oil, and lavender essential oil until the zinc oxide is dissolved.
5. Pour mixture into a clean silicone mold.
Note: You can use any shape; I used the little squares.
6. Set in the freezer for 30 minutes.
7. Press up on the bottom of each mold to pop homemade lotion bar out.
To use: Rub homemade natural sunscreen bars on your skin just like you would any store bought sunscreen.
Note: These homemade natural sunscreen bars will melt in the sun and/or heat. If taking these outside, consider either only bringing a small piece or placing the homemade lotion bars in a plastic bag and storing them in a cooler.
If you’re super worried about them melting, consider whipping up a batch of this more “traditional” homemade sunscreen which is carried in a squeeze tube/bottle.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.