The latest “hip” super food has actually been around longer than that mystery tupperware container in the very back of your freezer. (You know the one I’m talking about.) 🙂 Move over kale, coconut oil, and quinoa, matcha green tea is squeezing into the spotlight. Trust me, once you discover green tea beauty benefits, you’ll wonder how you ever did without this ingredient.
Before we dive right into green tea beauty benefits, it’s important to understand the difference between matcha green tea and “regular” green tea. Matcha is green tea but pulverized into a powder form. Think of matcha green tea as a turbo-charged green tea.
Furthermore, while you can take advantage of some green tea beauty benefits just by drinking matcha green tea on a regular basis, to fully capitalize on green tea beauty benefits you’ll want to use it topically as well.
So, what gives green tea beauty benefits? I’m glad you asked! 🙂
Dermatologist Judith Hellman says “It contains catechins, a type of polyphenol, making it into a powerful antioxidant. The catechins help trap and inactivate free radicals in the skin, thus thwarting many of the signs of aging. The powder form is much more concentrated than the liquid form we drink. Green tea is an amazing anti-inflammatory agent, so it helps treat rosacea and even acne.”
Tip: While Matcha green tea can definitely help with inflammation, if you’re struggling with dry really itchy skin consider this soothing oatmeal body scrub.
In summary, green tea beauty benefits include:
- Minimizing signs of aging
- Reducing redness (and the inflammation)
- Soothing acne – Struggling with facial acne? Whip up this grapefruit face scrub which was specifically formulated to fight acne and for use on your face.
Ready to take advantage of the many green tea beauty benefits? I’ve got the perfect recipe to get you started: Matcha green tea & mint sugar scrub bars.
These minty fresh smelling bars are a great way to pamper yourself at home without blowing your budget. The hands-on time is minimal (about 5-10 minutes) and the entire recipe is super easy. If you’ve never tackled a DIY beauty project before, this is a great place to start as they don’t get much easier!
Oh, and don’t forget to share green tea beauty benefits with your friends and family! These matcha green tea & mint sugar scrub bars make for awesome frugal and heartfelt gifts. You can give them as a stand alone gift or add them to a gift basket/set like this peppermint coconut oil Mason jar gift set.
Whip up these sugar scrub bars now and you could be taking advantage of green tea beauty benefits as early as tomorrow morning!
Want more DIY beauty products that allow you to take advantage of green tea beauty benefits and other “super” foods and ingredients? Check out:
- Sugar scrub bars with coconut oil
- Strawberry face scrub
- DIY body scrub
- Lavender body scrub
- DIY Beauty Pinterest board
- Homemade Beauty Products Pinterest board
1. Chop soap base into small pieces.
2. Place pieces in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, coconut oil, Matcha green tea, and peppermint essential oil.
4. Pour mixture into molds and leave undisturbed until bars are hardened (approximately 4 to 5 hours).
5. Gently remove hardened bars from mold, place in a jar with a lid (such as a Mason jar), and store in a cool dry location.
1. Remove bar from the jar.
2. Using a circular motion, rub bar directionally on wet skin.
3. Rinse well.
4. Pat skin dry.
Tip: Want to rejuvenate your lips so they’re as soft as your skin after using these matcha green tea sugar scrub bars? Give this raspberry lip scrub a try.