This after sun spray is great at soothing sun damaged skin! Not only is it effective, it’s also easy just like this Homemade Sunburn Relief Cream.
DIY After Sun Spray
Most of us love a little fun in the sun, especially after a long winter, but the truth is, sun exposure isn’t necessarily good for us. In the long run, sun exposure can leave you with age spots, skin discoloration, and wrinkles! According to WebMD, “Sun exposure causes most of the skin changes that we think of as a normal part of aging. Over time, the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) light damages the fibers in the skin called elastin. When these fibers break down, the skin begins to sag, stretch, and lose its ability to go back into place after stretching. The skin also bruises and tears more easily — taking longer to heal. Yikes! And it isn’t just the outside you have to be concerned about. Sun exposure can also lead to skin cancer!
The after sun spray recipe I’m about to share with you is great for soothing sun damaged skin including restoring moisture, preventing the signs of aging, and healing damage!
Psst! Avoiding prolonged sun exposure doesn’t meant giving up your tan. You can achieve that healthy, sun-kissed glow without the sun or tanning beds! Just try this homemade self tanner.
While this after sun spray is great for giving your skin a little TLC after a day in the great outdoors, the best thing you can do is protect your skin before venturing out. You can protect your skin with clothing such as a wide brimmed hat or long sleeves, but another great option is sunscreen. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of slathering myself with chemicals and artificial ingredients. I’m even less of of a fan of putting those things on my little man, so I usually opt for a homemade sunscreen or even sunscreen lotion bars. Regardless of what sunscreen you decide to go with, keep in mind that sunscreen must be reapplied. That’s right… you can’t just dab it on once a day and be good to go. Typically, sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours!
After your day in the sun, rinse off and then apply this after sun spray to give your skin a dose of moisture as well as exposure to other healthy ingredients like:
- Lavender essential oil, which has antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, it has aromatherapy properties that may help you (and the kiddos!) unwind after a hectic day outside.
- Chamomile essential oil, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. In fact, according to Dr. Axe, this after sun spray ingredient has been used to treat “eczema, wounds, ulcers, gout, skin irritations, bruises, burns, canker cores, and even skin conditions like cracked nipples, chicken pox, ear and eye infections, poison ivy, and diaper rash.“
- Helichrysum essential oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties and contains diketones, which can help reduce the appearance of age spots and skin discoloration.
There are also ingredients in this after sun spray that can sooth sunburn, including witch hazel and peppermint essential oil. However, if you get really sunburnt, you may want to use this after sun spray AND this homemade sunburn relief cream.
In addition to being good for your skin and effective at helping to relieve the pain associated with sunburn, this after sun spray is super easy to make. Spoiler alert: You just add all the ingredients to a container and combine. See? What did I tell you? You can make a batch of this after sun spray in less than five minutes. Go ahead, give it a try.
1 cup witch hazel
¼ cup distilled water
2 tsp. fractionated coconut oil
8 drops peppermint essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops chamomile essential oil
5 drops helichrysum essential oil*
Dark colored glass spray bottle**
*For really damaged skin you may want to add an additional 5 drops of helichrysum essential oil to your after sun spray. (This would mean a total of 10 drops.)
**If possible, opt for a tinted glass spray bottle for your after sun spray. Overtime, essential oils can eat through plastic and a clear container will likely expose essential oils to more light causing them to break down faster.
1. Add all ingredients to the glass spray bottle.
Tip: Keep things tidy by using a funnel to add the coconut oil and witch hazel.
2. Shake well to combine.
3. Add a printed or handwritten label to your after sun spray.
Tip: Keep this after sun spray in the refrigerator for a really cool treat!
1. Shake well.
2. Spritz after sun spray all over skin.
Tip: Be liberal with it!
3. Allow after sun spray to dry before putting on clothing.
This after sun spray is safe to use several times a day.
Looking for more ways to remove harmful chemicals from your daily routines? Opt for essential oils! Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun and Essential Oil Recipes Pinterest board for more easy and effective all natural recipes!
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.