Homemade Freezer Bag Ice Cream In Just 15 Minutes!
Nothing hits the spot on a long hot summer day better than ice cream, am I right? I have to confess that even though I’m all grown up, when I hear the ice cream truck I’m tempted to run after it. 🙂 Unfortunately, ice cream truck habits are expensive. Recently, I discovered how to make homemade freezer bag ice cream which is more budget friendly.
Homemade freezer bag ice cream is an easy treat that you can concoct in just 15 minutes. Maybe less. The hardest part of making freezer bag ice cream is shaking a gallon sized bag filled with ice for 5 minutes straight. However, shaking probably burns off some of the ice cream calories, so it isn’t all bad… I guess. It helps that this freezer bag ice cream is totally delicious!
In addition to really hitting the spot on hot days, freezer bag ice cream is a fun DIY project to tackle with the kids. They’ll love getting to make their very own ice cream. To make freezer bag ice cream an even bigger treat, consider setting out a variety of toppings the kids can choose from such as sprinkles, chocolate chips, fresh fruit, etc. Trust me, once they’ve had the chance to make and decorate freezer bag ice cream they’ll never scream for the ice cream truck again.
Plus with all the demand for freezer bag ice cream, you’ll have killer arms. Seriously, like Michelle Obama arms!
1 Cup half and half
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 Cup coarse sea salt
Gallon and quart sized freezer bags
1. Fill a large (gallon) Ziploc bag halfway with ice.
2. Add sea salt to the bag.
3. Pour half and half, sugar, and vanilla into the smaller (quart) freezer bag and seal.
4. Place the small Ziploc bag in the larger bag, seal the larger bag, and shake for 5 minutes.
Tip: Try singing Taylor Swift’s Shake It Off while you do this… it’ll help the time pass. 🙂
5. Remove the smaller bag and rinse off the salt.
6. Scoop ice cream out of the bag with a spatula, top with sprinkles, and enjoy!
Tip: If you want, you can add a few drops of food coloring to this freezer bag ice cream recipe to give the ice cream a little color. In fact, you could make a variety of different colored ice creams to choose from.
For more fun recipes, like homemade freezer bag ice cream, to make with kids try:
- Gluten-free chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches – If you don’t mind some gluten you could even use freezer bag ice cream in this recipe!
- Rainbow fudge
- Skittles fudge
- Flower pretzel bites