Patriotic Foods: Firecracker Pretzels
I love summer; how about you? One of my favorite aspects of summer is outdoor gatherings with friends, family members, and neighbors. I love gathering everyone together for a backyard barbecue, grill out, or picnic complete with ridiculous outdoor games. These get-togethers are the perfect opportunity to trot out some of my favorite summer recipes like my Versailles inspired grilled chicken, homemade barbecue sauces (I look to Pinterest for the best barbecue sauce recipes), and patriotic foods like these firecracker pretzels.
Patriotic foods are a fun way to celebrate the unofficial start of summer (Memorial Day), Independence day, and oh, I don’t know, Saturday. 🙂 Basically I use patriotic foods throughout the summer. Why not? If for some reason you aren’t a fan of the red, white, and blue color theme, most patriotic foods can easily be made in a color of your choice without a lot of fuss.
For example, these firecracker pretzels don’t have to be a patriotic food. You could use melted white chocolate with rainbow sprinkles and POOF, they’re perfect for a rainbow party. See, no big deal?
This patriotic food is an easy way to add a sweet touch to any gathering. The resulting chocolate and sprinkle covered pretzel rods look yummy and a little bit pricey. This patriotic food is one of those that, like fireworks, will garner a few “oohs” and “aahs”. It’ll be our secret how easy (and inexpensive) they really are! 😉
This patriotic food is a great option regardless of the “event” your attending. It’s fine for casual family gatherings, church or work potlucks, sporting events, etc. Trust me, everyone will appreciate a little bit of chocolate and salt!
Ready? Let’s get cooking (er, well, kinda, all you need for this patriotic food recipe is a microwave)!
1 Cup Wilton white candy melts
1 Cup Wilton red candy melts
Red, white, and blue sprinkles
Twizzlers fruit punch pull and peel
1. Pull apart the purple pieces of the Twizzlers and set aside.
2. Using a microwave safe dish, microwave white candy melts on 50% power for 3-4 minutes (or until melted), stirring every 30 seconds.
3. Repeat step 2 with the red candy melts.
Tip: Depending on the size of your microwave and the dishes being used, you may be able to do steps 2 and 3 at the same time.
4. Dip a pretzel into one of the bowls of chocolate. Use a spoon to spread the chocolate on all sides of the pretzel rod.
5. Dust the chocolate coated pretzel rod with the red, white, and blue sprinkles.
6. Lay the pretzel rod on a flat surface to allow the chocolate to harden.
Tip: Place the pretzel on parchment paper (ex. a parchment paper covered baking sheet) to prevent sticking.
7. Cut Twizzlers into 1/2″ pieces.
8. Dip the end of the Twizzler into chocolate that is the same color you used on the pretzel rod.
9. Press the chocolate dipped end of the Twizzler to the top of the pretzel rod (this is the “fuse”).
Tip: You may need to hold the Twizzler in place for a few seconds to ensure it sticks.
10. Set pretzel rod aside to finish hardening.
11. Repeat steps 4-10 with additional pretzels.
12. When the chocolate has fully hardened, serve pretzel rods upright in a mason jar for a fun and patriotic food!
Craving more patriotic foods for your summer celebrations? Check out these Memorial Day party ideas.
For even more summer fun and party ideas, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun, Homemade Snacks, and Kids Party Ideas Pinterest boards.
Leave a Reply