Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
While scientific research is showing that breakfast may not be the most important meal of the day, I believe that if you are going to eat breakfast it should be nutritious. That means no cereal filled with marshmallows, no pastries dipped in frosting, and none of the other stuff my rambunctious 4 year old would love to get his hands on. Sorry kiddo! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not totally opposed to quick store-bought options; they just have to be healthy. In addition to searching for healthy store-bought breakfast options, I always keep my eyes open for easy breakfast recipes I can make at home like this easy sausage breakfast casserole.
This easy sausage breakfast casserole is (as the name implies) easy. It’s simple enough that even a novice chef can successfully pull this tasty dish off. I will say that while this easy sausage breakfast casserole is simple it isn’t as quick as some of the other breakfast recipes I’ve come across. It requires 45 minutes in the oven which may make it a challenge on weekdays. However, while I haven’t tried it, I think you could make this easy sausage breakfast casserole the day before (say Sunday evening) and reheat it in the morning.
In addition to being simple to make, this easy sausage breakfast casserole is definitely nutritious. It’s high in protein, pretty low in carbs, and has vegetables. Oh, and of course it’s delicious. Seriously, sugar filled cereals have nothing on this easy sausage breakfast casserole! 🙂
Another thing I really like about this easy sausage breakfast casserole is that you can customize it. Here are some ideas I’ve had to diversify this easy sausage breakfast casserole:
- Add in some diced green peppers
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese and diced tomatoes
- Add in some pre-cooked chopped up bacon
- Swap the cinnamon for something a with a little kick like paprika
- Use turkey sausage to make the recipe even healthier
Anyway, as you can see, there’s a lot that you can do with this easy sausage breakfast casserole to make it fit your family’s tastes.
Tip: Another customizable breakfast recipe I love for the weekends or when you have a little extra time is this breakfast pizza.
Here’s to a nutritious and delicious breakfast!
1 lb ground pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 (10oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (4oz) ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter.
2. In a large skillet, fully cook sausage with onion.
3. Mix in 1 cup cheddar cheese, spinach, and mushrooms.
4. Pour mixture into baking dish.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
7. Bake for 45 minutes and top off this easy sausage breakfast casserole with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Looking for more tasty breakfast recipes like this easy sausage breakfast casserole? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Breakfast Ideas Pinterest board. We’re serving up breakfast 24/7!