A Christmas shortbread cookies recipe is a must for the holiday season! Here’s an easy Christmas shortbread recipe that is sure to delight one and all.
Christmas Shortbread Cookies Recipe
What are your favorite Christmas cookies? It’s definitely a tough call to make, but I am a huge fan of crumbly, buttery shortbread cookies. Each holiday season, I can’t wait to whip up my Christmas shortbread cookies recipe.
In addition to being a delicious cookie worthy of Mr. Claus himself, my Christmas shortbread recipe is pretty easy to make. Some recipes for shortbread cookies call for about 500 ingredients (okay, I’m exaggerating… but only a little!). However, this shortbread cookies easy recipe only calls for 4 ingredients. Yep, you read that right, just 4 ingredients.
I love this Christmas shortbread recipe for it’s lack of ingredients because there’s really few things worse than wandering around a super crowded grocery story in the days leading up to the holidays. I’d much rather be spending time with my family!
While this Christmas shortbread cookies recipe may not be the fastest to make, it definitely isn’t complicated. Plus there’s no fancy time consuming decorating required. Quick side note: If you do want to spend some time playing with icing, I highly recommend these Christmas light cupcakes as they’re pretty enough to be sold in a bakery but not terribly hard to make!
You can also use this shortbread cookies easy recipe to bring the whole family together for some quality time. Enlist the kiddos to help you with the cookie cutting portion. They’ll have a blast making different holiday themed shapes. If you’re feeling brave, you can even let them add some extra sprinkles to the top of the cookies.
And if you’re not a fan of recipes for shortbread cookies, no worries, here are 41 more easy Christmas cookie recipes to try this holiday season. 🙂
2 cups cold salted butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Christmas nonpareil sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Add cold butter and sugar to a mixing bowl, and using a hand or stand mixer, beat until creamy.
Note: Since the butter in this Christmas shortbread recipe is cold, this step will take several minutes.
4. Add three 3/4 cup flour and mix well.
5. Mix in 1/4 cup sprinkles.
6. Place dough from this Christmas shortbread recipe on a piece of parchment paper and knead with another 1/2 cup of flour.
7. Mix in remaining 1/4 flour if needed.
8. Divide dough into 3-4 sections, roll each section into a ball, wrap tightly with Saran Wrap, and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Tip: Do not let the dough remain in the freezer any longer than 30 minutes or it will be hard to roll out.
9. Remove dough from the freezer and roll out one section of dough at a time.
Tip: You can add sprinkles on top and roll them into the dough gently if you want these Christmas shortbread cookies to be more colorful on top.
10. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes from the dough.
11. Place cookies on parchment paper lined baking pan.
12. Bake for 13-15 if you used small cookie cutters and up to 18 minutes if you used larger ones.
13. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool.
14. Enjoy the fruits of this Christmas shortbread cookies recipe!
So, now you have a Christmas shortbread cookies recipe… but that’s probably not the only thing you plan to eat this holiday season, am I right? If you need help with the rest of your holiday menu be sure to check out:
Leave a Reply