Want to learn how to make lotion? You’re in the right place! This homemade baby lotion is safe for even the youngest child and most sensitive skin.
All Natural Homemade Baby Lotion
If you’re a mom (or someone afflicted with sensitive skin) you probably frequently find yourself looking at the ingredient lists on bath and beauty products with a critical eye. Even ingredients that seem to be in everything (for example, fragrance) are suspect. The last thing you want to do is subject your little one or yourself to painful and/or itchy irritated skin. Unfortunately, finding products that are safe can be a challenge. That’s why I try to make many bath and beauty products in my own kitchen, including homemade baby lotion.
I know, I know, a lot of people think that learning how to make lotion and other bath and beauty products is just too much of a commitment. However, whipping up natural baby lotion and other homemade beauty products typically isn’t that time consuming or difficult. Plus, since this homemade baby lotion is safe for (as the name implies) babies and individuals with sensitive skin, I’m willing to invest a few minutes of my time for a little peace of mind.
Honestly, you can probably tackle this homemade baby lotion recipe in about 30 minutes, not counting the time the natural baby lotion has to harden in the fridge. Personally, I’d probably spend that much time comparing ingredients at the store and trying to pick the best product!
In addition to being safe, this organic baby lotion is effective at soothing dry, itchy skin. I love that this recipe only calls for 3 ingredients (4 if you use the optional essential oil) and every single one of them is a heavy hitter in terms of protecting and soothing skin. Here’s a closer look at the ingredients in this homemade baby lotion recipe:
Cocoa butter – When looking into how to make lotion, you can’t go wrong with cocoa butter! Cocoa butter is a natural moisturizer that contains a lot of vitamins including A, B1, B2, B3, C, and E. It contains “cocoa mass polyphenol (CMP), a substance that inhibits the production of the immuno globulin IgE. IgE is known to aggravate symptoms of both dermatitis and eczema,” (Z Living).
Coconut oil – I’m a huge fan of coconut oil as it can help with treating acne and wrinkles. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that does a great job penetrating skin due to its low molecular weight and because of how it bonds with proteins (draxe.com). The saturated fats in coconut oil help your skin stay hydrated by preventing moisture loss through the pores. To top it off, coconut oil contains vitamin E which plays an important role in skin repair including the prevention of premature aging (ex. wrinkles).
Vitamin E oil – This ingredient is a nutrient and an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals (which damage cells and can cause premature signs of aging). However, your little one probably isn’t too concerned about that! The main reason it’s in this homemade baby lotion recipe is that vitamin E oil forms a barrier between your skin and the environment thereby protecting you from things like sun damage while holding moisture into your skin.
Lavender essential oil – This ingredient possesses anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce swelling, redness, and itchiness. In addition, lavender essential oil helps promote relaxation so it may help your little one (or you) catch some much needed Zs.
See, this natural baby lotion is chock full of good for your skin ingredients. Trust me, getting your little one to use some of this homemade baby lotion will be a lot easier than getting him or her to eat something healthy! 😉
So… do your little one (or your sensitive skin) a big favor and try out this homemade baby lotion recipe today!
Note: Use organic ingredients to make this “organic” baby lotion.
1. Place cocoa butter and coconut oil in a glass measuring cup.
2. Place the measuring cup in a small pan and add some water.
3. Bring the water to a boil, stirring the contents of the measuring cup frequently until melted.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in vitamin E oil and lavender essential oil (optional).
6. Place measuring cup in the fridge until the mixture has hardened.
7. Using a hand mixer with one whisk attached, whip homemade baby lotion until it has a light and fluffy consistency.
8. Scoop into a Mason jar and seal.
Tip: If your little one is dealing with chapped lips, try this homemade lip balm to provide relief. To make it safe for kids, just consider leaving out the peppermint essential oil.
Now that you know how to make lotion that’s safe for children and sensitive skin, perhaps you’d like to try something a bit more adventurous? Be sure to check out more homemade beauty products like:
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.