Homemade Lip Balm
Did you know the summer can be just as inhospitable to your lips as the winter? Sure, most of us associate cold, blustery weather with chapped, damaged lips but the summer holds its own dangers. From the sun (yes, your lips can get sunburnt) to chlorine in the pool to wind, this season can be quite trying for you and your lips. But, that’s all about to change… thanks to this recipe for homemade lip balm.
Regardless of the season, this recipe for homemade lip balm will keep your lips satiny smooth, and since it is chemical free, this recipe for homemade lip balm is safe for anyone to use. In fact, this recipe for homemade lip balm only has 4 ingredients so I would feel comfortable letting my little one use it.
Other than the lack of (potentially) harmful chemicals (as if that weren’t enough), this recipe for homemade lip balm has other benefits. For one, you can make these homemade lip balms in under an hour and the most amount of time will be spent waiting for the mixture to harden in the freezer. There’s actually only about 10 minutes of hands-on time with this recipe for homemade lip balm. Two, since this recipe only calls for 4 ingredients in fairly small amounts, it’s pretty low cost to make. Plus, each “batch” makes 5 lip balms which can be stored for later use. Three, you can customize this recipe for homemade lip balm to fit your preferences by adding or switching out essential oils. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
Tip: Since this recipe for homemade lip balm makes 5 “tubes” at a time, this would make for a pretty thoughtful little gift. Consider pairing this lip balm with other DIY beauty products to make a heartfelt gift set.
So, pucker up and say bye bye to chapped lips!
Note: If you’re not using an EOS lip balm container skip to step 3.
1. Empty each EOS container by using a spoon or fork to pop out the pizza shaped piece in the bottom of the container.
2. Wipe out the empty container and place the three pieces (top, bottom, and pizza shaped insert) in a pot of boiling water for about 90 seconds to sanitize.
3. In a glass measuring cup combine beeswax, coconut oil, and vitamin E oil.
4. Microwave for about 90 seconds (or until melted), stirring halfway through.
5. Mix in 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
6. Fill the top part of the EOS container with liquid lip balm mixture.
7. Snap the pizza piece into the top lid so that when the lip balm hardens it will be connected to the pizza piece.
8. Set in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until hardened.
9. Carefully, with a fork or spoon, pull the pizza piece out (with the lip balm attached).
10. Smooth the top of the rounded lip balm with a clean finger.
11. Pop the pizza piece into the bottom piece of the EOS container, making sure to align the half circles.
12. Twist the lid on.
To Use: Apply this recipe for homemade lip balm directly to lips as needed.