Best Frugal Living Tips for DIY
- Join a group where you can exchange your services for a service you need.
- Restore or build your own furniture. This frugal living tip can be the gateway to learning new skills and possibly acquiring a new hobby.
- Give homemade gifts instead of store bought gifts.
- Take it one craft at a time. When you get on a DIY kick don’t rush out and buy tons of materials for 100 different projects that you may or may not get around to.
- Exercise your creativity and repurpose items.
Best Frugal Living Tips for Entertainment
- Utilize your library for books, DVDs, Internet access, and in some cases even CDs – all for free.
- Instead of heading to a restaurant with the kids pack a picnic basket and head to the park. This frugal living tip encourages added family time and possibly some physical fitness before or after the meal.
- Check out free activities in your area, and instead of going on vacation go on a “staycation”.
- When you do want to go out, know which days are “cheapest”. For example, some restaurants offer certain days when kids eat free and some movie theaters have “bargain” days.
- Skip expensive after school programs or sport camps and explore Pinterest for loads of fun and educational ideas on how to keep the kids active, engaged, and having fun.
Best Frugal Living Tips for Being Mindful
- Use less. Be conscious of how much toothpaste you squeeze out of the tube or how long you leave the water running when you brush your teeth. Make this frugal living tip into a family competition to spot wastefulness.
- Adjust your thermostat. Throw on a sweater or open up the windows to save on your utility bill.
- Don’t waste, use every last bit. Use every bit of that hand lotion before you toss the bottle.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Recycle – did you know that you can actually get paid to recycle? Join programs like Recyclebank to earn high value coupons and other rewards.
Best Frugal Living Tips for Your Attitude
- Be a proactive DIYer. Ask yourself how can I make this myself instead of buying it?
- Think each day how can I save money? For inspiration see Freebie Finding Mom’s weekly savings chart articles where she shares how she saves money each week by making simple smart money decisions.
- Make a frugal living tips goal list. Defining your frugal living strategy will help ensure you achieve your goals.
- Get rid of clutter. Embracing a frugal lifestyle involves removing items you don’t need.
- Before you buy anything ask yourself, “Do I really need this?”
All of the frugal living tips in this article are practical and easy. Implement these frugal living tips in your life and you’ll soon be saving money.
Can you think of other realistic frugal living tips? If so, share them in the comments!