As a busy mom with a picky eater on her hands, I’m always looking for ways to incorporate a hearty dose of fruits and vegetables into my little one’s diet. This journey, if you will, has spanned years and many fierce battles between my child and myself. In fact, it inspired the article Parenting Tips: How to Get Kids to Eat Vegetables and Fruits which contained my tried and true methods of getting my son to consume healthy foods. In addition to those tips, over time, I’ve amassed some amazingly tasty vegetarian toddler recipes which are perfect for getting little ones to eat at least some fruits and/or vegetables. I thought I’d share my top 32 vegetarian toddler recipes with you in the chance that you can relate to my struggles. 🙂
Even if you’ve been blessed with a child that’ll eat just about anything, these vegetarian toddler recipes may certainly come in handy. Around my house we “go meatless” (don’t eat meat at dinner) at least 1 night a week in order to save money. This is just one way to save money on groceries. If you’d like to save money at the store, I encourage you to try this tip out as it is easy to incorporate into your weekly routine and the savings really will add up. While these vegetarian toddler recipes definitely appeal to, you guessed it, toddlers, anyone can dive in and enjoy them.
If you enjoy these vegetarian toddler recipes and want more toddler-friendly meal ideas, be sure to follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Toddler Meals Pinterest board.
Vegetarian Toddler Entree Recipes
1. Crockpot Banana Nut Oatmeal (Freebie Finding Mom) – Start the day off right with this vegetarian toddler recipe that’s perfect for breakfast. Bonus: You can start this dish at night, before you go to bed, and wake up to a delicious smelling and tasting breakfast!
2. Pizzadillas (Thriving Home Blog) – Get creative with this vegetarian toddler recipe by experimenting with different vegetable toppings like tomatoes. Tip: Be sure to omit the optional ham and turkey pepperoni if you’re trying to stick to the whole “vegetarian” concept!
3. Crispy Quinoa Bites (The Healthy Apple) – This recipe proves that these vegetarian toddler recipes aren’t just for toddlers! These tasty quinoa bites are perfect for all ages. Serve them as the main course with a salad or whip them up as finger foods for your next family gathering, office carry-in, or tailgating party.
4. Confetti Mac and Cheese (Peas and Crayons) – If your toddler loves “mac n cheese” (which I think is all toddlers, right?) then this vegetarian toddler recipe is a must try. It takes cheesy noodles and makes them a little bit healthier by adding in a slew of vegetables like peas and carrots.
5. Vegetable Quesadillas (Shweta in the Kitchen) – To get your little one to love this vegetarian toddler recipe, add the word “pizza” after “quesadilla,” so you’re making “vegetable quesadilla pizzas”. Seriously, adding the word pizza to any recipe ups the chances of a kid eating it by like 60%… that’s a scientific fact! 🙂
6. Eggplant Parmesan (Table for Two Blog) – Okay, I’ll admit that this vegetarian toddler recipe is definitely not for those busy weeknights when you feel like your head is going to explode! While the recipe does require 75 minutes of prep time, it is 100% worth it… just save this dish for the weekend when you have time to focus on and enjoy it!
7. Gardein “Chicken” and Bleu Sweet Potato Mash (Lavende and Lemonade) – The Gardein meat substitute used in this vegetarian toddler recipe looks remarkably similar to chicken tenders which at least in my house, is a toddler fav. Even the breading on these is healthier than your standard chicken nuggets since it is 7 grain breading.
8. Broccoli Cheese Soup – Panera Bread Copycat Recipe (Thrifty NW Mom) – If your child (or you) is a fan of Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup, you have to try this vegetarian toddler recipe. It’s a great comfort food (perfect for this time of year) that sneaks in some much needed nutrition in the form of the dreaded broccoli, carrots, and onion.
9. Vegetable Pizza Appetizer (Thrifty NW Mom) – Remember what I said about vegetarian toddler recipes with the word “pizza” in them? Great, so you know your little one will be all over this particular recipe! Plus, I’m pretty sure your hubby will enjoy it as well. These crescent rolls topped with cream cheese and vegetables can be served as the main part of a meal, but they’re also sure to be a big hit on game day.
10. Roasted Vegetable Soup (Kelly Stilwell) – One of the things I love about this vegetarian toddler recipe (other than the fact that it tastes great) is that you can make a big batch of it and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. In addition, as the name implies, it is packed with vegetables that I used to only dream of getting my little one to eat!
11. Asparagus and Swiss Cheese Frittata (Gina’s Skinny Recipes) – Despite the fact that this vegetarian toddler recipe contains no meat, it is packed with protein weighing in at 21g per serving! Bonus: It is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
12. Chickpea Patties (Savvy Mom) – My son used to insist on chicken nuggets pretty much every single night for dinner, so I started looking for sneaky and healthy substitutes which led me to this vegetarian toddler recipe. No, they don’t taste exactly like chicken nuggets (as I’m sure your little one will inform you), but since they look like chicken nuggets and are so tasty they’re definitely worth trying.
13. Moroccan Chickpea and Vegetable Soup (Lavende and Lemonade) – This vegetarian toddler recipe is rich in nutrients and brain boosters including cumin. According to the chef, cumin “has been shown to fight depression, and may play a role in the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factors, genes that help with memory and learning and help brain neurons function and survive.”
14. Minestrone Soup – Olive Garden Copycat Recipe (Thrifty NW Mom) – If you’re looking for a great weeknight vegetarian toddler recipe, look no further! This hearty soup can be made in the slow cooker, so it’ll be ready and waiting for you when you get home from work.
Vegetarian Toddler Side Dish Recipes
15. Mac and Cheese Bites (Freebie Finding Mom) – Originally this recipe was a tailgating idea but (not surprisingly) my little one loved it. So, now, I’m serving it up as a vegetarian toddler recipe. Note: While I’m sure my son would devour this as his entire meal, I would not serve this as an entree. Instead, make it a side dish to accompany other vegetables and healthy options.
16. Cheesy Baked Tomatoes (The Cookie Rookie) – Requiring only 5 minutes of prep time, this vegetarian toddler recipe is a no-brainer when you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish. With all the cheesy goodness, your little one won’t even know he or she is eating a fruit (tomato)!
17. Baked Cauliflower Tots (Just a Taste) – Is your tot addicted to tater tots and French fries? Try swapping potatoes for cauliflower with this vegetarian toddler recipe. They probably won’t even realize they’re eating a vegetable! Plus, with only 5 ingredients, you won’t have to invest a ton of money into making this dish.