When you’re focusing on eating healthier, you encounter a lot of chicken recipes. And I mean a lot. I like chicken as much as the next girl, maybe even more, but even I know it can get a little old after a while. In order to avoid a chicken induced rut, I put together this treasure trove of 36 chicken recipes but even that has its limits. Another option for those of us watching our calories and in general trying to eat healthier is shrimp. Healthy and low calorie shrimp recipes are a great way to mix things up once in a while without veering way off course.
Shrimp has many health benefits. For instance, it is low calorie. One medium shrimp has just 7 calories; this means coming up with low calorie shrimp recipes is not an insurmountable challenge. In addition, shrimp is high in protein. According to Health.com, 3 ounces of shrimp pack about 20 grams of protein. The health benefits of shrimp don’t end there. It is also a strong source of selenium which helps fight free radicals, vitamin D, vitamin B3, zinc, and iodine.
Another benefit of shrimp is how versatile it is. As you’ll see in these low calorie shrimp recipes, shrimp can be used in a lot of different ways.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy alternative to chicken, I think you’ll be pretty pleased with what shrimp has to offer. Here are 22 of my favorite low calorie shrimp recipes.
1. Asian Style Shrimp Zoodle (Zucchini Noodle) Stir Fry (Dinner With The Rollos) – This low calorie shrimp recipe maintains its figure, so to speak, by replacing “normal” noodles with noodles made from zucchini. I know, I know, it sounds a little odd but give it a try. I don’t think you (or your picky little eaters) will notice a difference with the shrimp and sauce mixed in.
2. New Orleans Shrimp Creole Recipe (Ann’s Entitled Life) – Add spice to your work week with this zesty low calorie shrimp recipe. Bonus: You’ll only need 30 minutes of prep time to get this meal ready for the family to devour.
3. Oven Grilled Shrimp (DFW Dad) – Talk about easy! Low calorie shrimp recipes don’t get much simpler than this. You’ll need just 3 ingredients to make these delicious kabobs. I love this recipe because it is super easy to scale up or down based on the number of people you need to feed.
4. Grilled Shrimp and Veggies With Israeli Couscous (Evolving Motherhood) – Just because you’re opting for low calorie shrimp recipes doesn’t mean you have to give up grilling. Here’s an easy way to enjoy shrimp and vegetables on the grill this summer!
5. Tropical Shrimp Salad With Warm Citrus Dressing (Evolving Motherhood) – Looking for a light, refreshing meal that doesn’t require you to slave over the stove? Look no further than this low calorie shrimp recipe. Bonus: If you’re feeling adventurous, consider experimenting with some of these other DIY low calorie salad dressings.
6. Piri Piri Shrimp (Evolving Motherhood) – If you’re up for something exotic, I highly recommend this low calorie shrimp recipe. Note: In case you didn’t know, piri piri is a sauce that originated in Portuguese and is made from crushed chilies, citrus peel and juice, and various seasonings like salt, pepper, paprika, basil, oregano, and tarragon.
7. Tangy Citrus Shrimp (Evolving Motherhood) – This low calorie shrimp recipe just makes me think of summer. I think it’s the citrus. It’s great for grilling in the summer and sautéing on days when the weather simply isn’t cooperating.
8. Coconut Mango Prawns (Lavende & Lemonade) – If you’ve got a weakness for Thai food, this low calorie shrimp recipe is sure to hit the spot. It’s a great way to enjoy the food you love without all the calories (and other bad ingredients) you’re likely to ingest by grabbing takeout or going out.
9. Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad (Sidewalk Shoes) – Take your tastebuds on a journey with this low calorie shrimp recipe. The ingredients offer delightful contrasts that are sure to have you craving this salad for days to come. For example, you’ve got rich shrimp, creamy avocado, tart grapefruit, and crunchy sweet pecans. Yum!
10. Garlic and Sea Salt Peel and Eat Shrimp (Sidewalk Shoes) – I love how light on ingredients this low calorie shrimp recipe is. Plus, since you leave the shells on while cooking, you save a boatload of time.
11. Cold Marinated Shrimp Salad (Where Latin Meets Lagniappe) – Shrimp doesn’t have to be the star of the show; it can also work well as an appetizer or side dish. Don’t believe me? Just take a look at this easy and low calorie shrimp recipe. Bonus: This shrimp salad requires just 10 minutes of prep time so you can whip it up in a hurry.
12. Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp (Housewives of Frederick County) – This lightened up version of dirty rice is a delicious low calorie shrimp recipe you won’t be able to get enough of. Unless you’re feeding a large family (or one hungry teenager! 🙂 ), you’ll likely have leftovers which are perfect for lunch the next day.
13. Lemon and Garlic-Crumb Shrimp (Housewives of Frederick County) – You can have this low calorie shrimp recipe on the dinner table in under 30 minutes making it ideal for busy weeknights when you’re about to give in to temptation and hit up the nearest fast food drive-thru.
14. Cheddar-Shrimp Nachos (All She Cooks) – Watch yourself or this won’t stay a low calorie shrimp recipe for long! It’s really (really) easy to go overboard with the cheese and end up ingesting a bunch of unintended calories. However, if you’re careful, these nachos are a delicious (and fun) way to consume shrimp and veggies. Tip: Make this recipe for your next tailgating or game watching event.
15. Quick and Easy Cajun Shrimp (All She Cooks) – The chef behind this low calorie shrimp recipe says, “Just because time is short, you don’t have to sacrifice flavor … and this meal is big on flavor!” I couldn’t agree more. This recipe can be prepped in just 10 minutes and really packs a punch in terms of taste.
16. Shrimp Stir-Fry With Fried Rice (All She Cooks) – Here’s another “copycat” recipe of your favorite takeout dish. This low calorie shrimp recipe is a yummy way to enjoy fried rice while still being kind to your waistline and your wallet.
17. Orange Shrimp and Broccoli With Garlic Sesame Rice (Dinner at the Zoo) – This low calorie shrimp recipe is pretty darn impressive. It’s perfect for special occasions and entertaining guests. The fact that it really isn’t that difficult to make will be our little secret.
18. Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp (Bahama Breeze Copycat) (Say Grace) – In desperate need of a tropical escape? If an actual vacation simply isn’t in the budget right now, this low calorie shrimp recipe complete with tasty Caribbean flavors, may be the next best thing.
19. Shrimp Parmesan Salad Recipe (Two Kids and A Coupon) – While this low calorie shrimp recipe sounds delicious, there is one change I would make. Instead of using a store bought vinaigrette, I would opt for one of these easy DIY low calorie salad dressings. Making your own dressing gives you a better understanding of all the ingredients and nutrients your consuming.
20. Grilled Shrimp Tacos With Chipotle Lime Dressing (Thrifty T’s Treasures) – Here’s a low calorie shrimp recipe that is perfect for “Taco Tuesday” (or any other day of the week). I love using shrimp in tacos as it is much healthier than ground beef. Tip: You can make this recipe more or less spicy by altering the levels of chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
21. Mediterranean Shrimp Salad for Two (Farm Fresh Feasts) – The chef behind this low calorie shrimp recipe offers two ways to prepare the meal so you can be sure to please all of the picky eaters in your family. Tip: Since this isn’t super hard to make, it could also serve as a yummy lunch option.
22. Shrimp and Garlic Scape Scampi (Farm Fresh Feasts) – This low calorie shrimp recipe just feels fancy. Seriously, something about it just seems high-end. In fact, this would be a great meal for Valentine’s Day. If you’re looking for an impressive meal that won’t dirty every dish in your kitchen be sure to check it out.
There you have it, 22 low calorie shrimp recipes that are sure to delight your family and your tastebuds. Do you have other low calorie shrimp recipes in your rolodex? If so, please share in the comments!
If you want more low calorie recipes or healthy ideas, be sure to mosey on over to: