Natural Homemade Mosquito Repellent
Are you one of those lucky individuals who mosquitos find delicious? If so, you probably find yourself avoiding outdoor activities with family and friends for fear of being eaten alive by these long legged pests. Maybe you’ve tried store-bought mosquito repellents but found them to be ineffective or too harsh for your skin. Oh, well, guess you’ll have to just become a summer shut-in… wrong! Spritz yourself with this natural homemade mosquito repellent and start enjoying the great outdoors today!
One thing I always disliked about store-bought mosquito repellent was the smell. It always smelled like I was coating myself (and worse, my little one) with a layer of chemicals. I’d wrinkle my nose as the mist shot out of the spray can and settled on my skin. Yuck!
However, I stuck with them for years because they worked. I didn’t think I’d be able to find a natural homemade mosquito repellent that was as effective as the store-bought stuff and effectiveness was the most important factor. You see, not only are mosquito bites annoying but they can be dangerous. A mosquito bite can get infected or, thanks to the continued spread of the Zika virus, have long lasting negative effects. So, as I’ve found myself doing quite often over the last year, I looked to essential oils and came up with this natural homemade mosquito repellent.
I’m happy to admit I was wrong (just don’t tell the hubby). This natural homemade mosquito repellent is as effective as anything I’ve found at the store.
Tip: In addition to using this natural homemade mosquito repellent, if you’re doing an outdoor activity that is confined to one area (such as eating) try lighting one of these Mason jar bug repellent luminaries.
As mentioned above, this natural homemade mosquito repellent is definitely effective, which is the most important thing, but its benefits don’t stop there. It also doesn’t smell like a vat of (possibly toxic) chemicals. Hooray! In addition, this natural homemade mosquito repellent is super quick and easy to make. I know, I know, I say that about a lot of DIY beauty products and DIY household products but it’s true. To make this natural homemade mosquito repellent you just add a few (6) ingredients to a spray bottle and shake to combine. The whole thing will take you under 5 minutes, and you can use this natural homemade mosquito repellent immediately.
This natural homemade mosquito repellent is a must for any family get-together or summer trip. Be sure to add it to your vacation packing list now!
Tip: Another “must have” for that vacation packing list is the homemade bug bite relief stick. In an ideal world, you’d use the natural homemade mosquito repellent and never have to deal with another bug bite, but unfortunately, mosquitos aren’t the only pest that think we’re tasty snacks so make sure you have this on hand.
Looking for more useful and fun DIY projects like this natural homemade mosquito repellent? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board.
Now, let’s get to the natural homemade mosquito repellent, so we can have some fun in the sun!
4 ounces distilled water
3 ounces witch hazel
1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
10 drops therapeutic grade geranium essential oil
15 drops therapeutic grade lavender essential oil
15 drops therapeutic grade cedarwood essential oil
8 ounce spray bottle
1. Add witch hazel and water to spray bottle.
2. Add vegetable glycerin to spray bottle.
3. Using the dropper, add essential oils to spray bottle.
4. Shake to combine.
To Use: Spray natural homemade mosquito repellent directly on skin that will be exposed.
Caution: Avoid contact with eyes.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.