How To Treat Bug Bites: Bug Bite Relief Stick
As a busy mom (is there any other kind?), there are a variety of headaches I have to deal with every summer. One of those is how to treat bug bites.
If you’re curious about the other headaches I have to deal with, two of the biggest are boredom and sunburn. I stave off boredom by focusing on a variety of cheap or free summer activities for kids and this year, to relieve sunburn pain, I’m trying out this homemade sunburn relief cream.
Anyway, back to the quest for bug bite relief….
Regardless of who you are, bug bites aren’t fun. Understatement, am I right? Unfortunately, when you have kids, especially really young kids, the question of how to treat bug bites becomes even more pertinent. You see, little ones will scratch and pick at bug bites until they’re bleeding open wounds. No joke. Those yucky boo-boos can get infected, which may lead to a whole other host of problems. So bug bite relief isn’t just about being comfortable but about preventing more serious health issues.
When it comes to answering the question “how to treat bug bites”, the first thing I do is try to prevent bug bites in the first place. If there are no bugs there is no biting and you don’t need bug bite relief. Yahoo!
One way you can ward off bugs is with homemade bug repellent luminaries. However, this is really only a solution if your little one is going to be in a limited area since he or she can’t run around holding a flaming Mason jar all day.
Unfortunately, there’s no way around it, bug bites are going to occur. So let’s get back to the question how to treat bug bites. Sure, there are a plenty of products you can just pick up at your local grocery store to provide bug bite relief. However those products can be expensive, inconvenient, and filled with chemicals. While I want to treat bug bites, I don’t want to blow my budget, have to carry around a big spray can or other bulky container, or expose my family or myself to lots of chemicals. I know, I want it all. That’s where this homemade bug bite relief stick comes in….
As you may know, I love using essential oils in household products whenever possible. I’ve used essential oils in everything from makeup to pet shampoo and they have never let me down, so when I was trying to figure out how to treat bug bites I thought why not try essential oils?
Once again, essential oils did not fail me, and I have to say I love this bug bite relief stick. It’s incredibly quick and easy to make. (The longest step is waiting for the bug bite relief sticks to harden in the fridge.) Plus, since you put the ingredients in empty lip balm tubes, the bug bite relief sticks are super portable. You can pop one in your purse and not even know it is there until you need it. Your little one could carry one around in his or her pocket without being burdened. Seriously, it’s so much easier than carrying around spray canisters and creams to use. In addition, since this natural solution to how to treat bug bites is chemical-free, you don’t have to worry about overusing or damaging sensitive skin.
This summer, forget spending your money on store-bought solutions on how to treat bug bites. Instead, try these all natural bug bite relief sticks. You won’t regret it!
1. Grate 2 teaspoons of cocoa butter
2. In a small glass measuring jar, add beeswax pellets and cocoa butter.
3. Set glass jar in a small pot of water.
4. Bring the water to a boil, stirring beeswax mixture every 30 seconds until melted.
5. Stir essential oils into beeswax mixture.
6. Pour beeswax mixture into empty lip balm tubes.
Caution: Beeswax mixture will be very hot.
7. Set lip balm tubes in the fridge for 5-10 minutes or until hardened.
8. Apply directly to bite for bug bite relief.
For more helpful DIY inspiration, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board.
Do you know of other natural ways how to treat bug bites? Please share in the comments!
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.