Get rid of that awful soap scum buildup in your bathroom with this super easy 4 ingredient homemade soap scum remover!
Homemade Soap Scum Remover
Okay, let’s just get this out of the way up front–cleaning the bathroom is never fun. However, in my experience, it’s even more not fun when you’re wrestling with a buildup of filmy soap scum. With regular store-bought cleaners, I’m on my knees for what feels like nothing less than an eternity scrubbing away… and there’s still soap scum! I just knew there had to be a better way, and I was right: Homemade soap scum remover with essential oils!
This DIY soap scum remover that I’m about to share with you has it all. It’s fast and easy to make, easy to use, and highly effective. What’s not to love? You can make a batch of this homemade soap scum remover in 5 minutes (or less)! Honestly, even if it took an hour to make, this DIY soap scum remover would be totally worth it because at the end of the day you’ve got a scum free sparkling bathroom. 🙂
This homemade soap scum remover uses regular old dish soap, vinegar, and two powerful essential oils, tea tree and lemon, to send soap scum down the drain. The lemon essential oil works as a grease cutter and is also an antiseptic, anti-fungal, and antiviral. Tea tree essential oil, which you’ll find in a lot of homemade bath and beauty products is an anti-mold, disinfectant, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and antiviral. See how clean that shower and tub are going to be?
Now, maybe you really love this DIY soap scum remover but would like to prevent soap scum (or at least cut down on it) altogether? I hear ya! First, you need to understand what soap scum is. Soap scum is a buildup of residue, such as oils, from your bath products including obviously, soap. Typically, soap scum is worse if you have hard water. With that in mind, one way you may be able to cut down on soap scum is by utilizing homemade bath and body products including shampoo, conditioner, and body wash, which tend to have less chemical residue. You can also cut down on the severity of soap scum by cleaning more often (including utilizing this homemade soap scum remover on a more frequent basis). I like to use a printable cleaning schedule to keep up on things.
Bonus: If you want to get a really clean house, consider snagging this free printable spring cleaning checklist.
So, ready to tackle that scum? Let’s get on to the homemade soap scum remover recipe!
Note: This homemade soap scum remover uses equal parts vinegar and dish soap.
Tip: This DIY soap scum remover works best with warm vinegar so I typically only make enough for one shower cleaning at a time.
1. Add vinegar to a heat safe container and microwave for one minute.
2. Pour vinegar and dish soap into the spray bottle, cap, and shake vigorously to combine.
Tip: Use a funnel to avoid a mess!
3. Add essential oils, cap, and shake again.
1. Spray homemade soap scum remover on build up.
Tip: Don’t be afraid to go heavy!
2. Let the DIY soap scum remover sit for 15 minutes.
3. Use the rough side of a sponge and a little elbow grease to scrub soap scum off.
Note: If there are any extra stubborn areas, don’t be afraid to apply a second coat of homemade soap scum remover, wait another 15 minutes, and re-scrub!
Want more awesome recipes like this one for homemade soap scum remover? If so, be sure to follow the these Pinterest boards:
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.