Ward off bugs the all natural way with this homemade bug spray! I also recommend treating bug bites naturally by using this bug bite relief stick.
Homemade Bug Spray
Probably my biggest complaint about summer is that I feel like I spend half of it slapping at mosquitoes and other pesky bugs that want to make a meal out of me. Frequently, it seems like I can’t leave the house without becoming a snack for one creepy crawly or another! If you’re in the same boat, I’ve got an easy and effective recipe for you to try: Homemade bug spray with essential oils!
Of course I could use store-bought bug spray, but why? This homemade bug spray doesn’t have any of the harsh chemicals or possible skin irritants or the overpowering smell that seems to linger in my nose for days on end. Plus, this homemade bug spray is cheaper, just as effective, and I can make it faster than I can even find bug spray at my local store. What’s not to love?
Best of all? I feel comfortable using this homemade bug spray on my kiddo, which is great because the bugs seem to like him too! 🙂
If you’re looking for an effective homemade bug spray complete with ingredients you can actually pronounce, look no further!
If you’ve tackled any of my other homemade bath and beauty products, you probably already have most of the ingredients you’ll need to whip up this homemade bug spray. One item you might not have is citronella essential oil. Even though this ingredient isn’t in most bath and beauty recipes, it’s worth investing in.
Citronella is a natural insect repellent and it’s crucial to this homemade bug spray recipe. According to Dr. Axe, “Citronella has been registered as a gentle, plant-based insect repellent in the U.S. since 1948. It has even been shown to repel dangerous Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which are capable of spreading dengue fever and the Zika virus.”
However, citronella essential oil can be used in more recipes than just this homemade bug spray. This essential oil is also known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties.
Tip: Hosting an outdoor party and don’t want to mist all your guest with this homemade bug spray? No worries! Tell mosquitoes they aren’t invited with a few of these homemade Mason jar bug repelling luminaries! 🙂
*If possible, opt for a tinted glass spray bottle for your homemade bug spray. Overtime, essential oils can eat through plastic and a clear container will likely expose essential oils to more light causing them to break down faster. Also, a spray bottle with a “fine” spray setting will work best since you want to mist your skin with homemade bug spray… not drench yourself.
1. Add water and witch hazel to spray bottle.
Tip: Keep things tidy by using a funnel.
2. Add essential oils.
3. Cap and shake well to combine ingredients.
4. Optional: Add a label to your homemade bug spray.
1. Spray exposed skin with homemade bug spray.
Warning: Avoid spraying near your eyes.
This homemade bug spray is safe to reapply as needed and is safe to use on a daily basis.
If you forget to apply your homemade bug spray and need some relief from those bug bites, consider making this DIY bug bite relief stick!
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.