You’ve heard it before: Brown bagging your lunch can save you money and calories. Yes, yes, it’s all very well and good… the responsible, grown-up thing to do, but sometimes the idea just isn’t appealing. You’ve got to find the time to make a yummy and healthy brown bag lunch and in this busy world, that time is super hard to come by. Then, assuming you do find the time, you’ve got to skip lunch with your office mates in favor of eating alone in the break room. No thanks! So, let’s see, you’ve got to take time out of your day, become a social outcast, and opt for food that isn’t as good as what everyone else is eating? Yep, not very appealing.
Well, guess what? There are healthy brown bag lunch ideas that are easy and so good all your office mates will want to join you for lunch. Don’t believe me? Just take a look at these 13 healthy brown bag lunch ideas.
1. Paleo Tuna Salad Served in Bell Peppers (Freebie Finding Mom) – Cut calories but not flavor with this healthy brown bag lunch idea. There’s no mayo in this tuna salad recipe plus you can skip the bread by using bell peppers as the “container”.
2. Baby Blue Salad with Fresh Pears and Sweet and Spicy Pecans (Freebie Finding Mom) – Make up a batch of this mouth-watering salad with sweet pears and strawberries, spicy pecans, and savory blue cheese crumbles for dinner and then take leftovers with you to work… if there are leftovers!
3. Sweet Potato and Kale Veggie Chips (Freebie Finding Mom) – With just 6 ingredients, this healthy brown bag lunch idea is super easy. Keep a baggy of these sweet potato and kale veggie chips in your desk for when the vending machine starts calling your name.
4. Vegan BLT (Strength and Sunshine) – Here’s a summer favorite with a healthy twist. Swap fatty bacon for smokey eggplant slices and top things off with crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, and your favorite bread or wrap.
5. Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes, Apples, and Tarragon-Yogurt Dressing (Two Healthy Kitchens) – This healthy brown bag lunch idea is so tasty everyone at the office will want a bite. Tip: To keep the calories low, eat this out of bell peppers (like the tuna salad mentioned above) instead of on bread.
6. Easy, Healthy Chicken Salad with Quinoa, Tomatoes, Lemon and Basil (Two Healthy Kitchens) – Here’s another twist on traditional chicken salad. Adding quinoa is a way to change up the flavor/texture as well as kick up the nutritional value.
7. Caprese Sandwich (Eat Thrive Glow) – You may be stuck at the office, but thanks to this healthy brown bag lunch idea your taste buds don’t have to be. Send them on a first class trip to Italy with this mouth-watering sandwich.
8. Easy Chicken Greek Salad Wrap (Snappy Gourmet) – This simple, tasty wrap is a great way to use up any leftover chicken. Tip: Cut calories by eating this chicken salad on a lettuce wrap or out of a bell pepper.
9. Apple, Brie & Turkey Sandwich (Drugstore Divas) – You only need 4 ingredients and about as many minutes to whip up this healthy brown bag lunch idea. The contrasting flavors of the ingredients (apple, brie, and turkey) somehow meld together into an unforgettable sandwich.
Healthy Brown Bag Lunch Ideas For Kids
Healthy brown bag lunch ideas aren’t just for adults. Save money and help your kids get the nutrition they need with these delicious lunch options.
10. Halloween Inspired Fun Lunch Box Ideas (Freebie Finding Mom) – These healthy brown bag lunch ideas may have been concocted for Halloween, but I promise your kid will love them year round. You can also utilize these ideas for a children’s party.
11. “Veggie Faces” No-Bake Vegetable Pizzas and Wraps (Two Healthy Kitchens) – Have a picky eater on your hands? This recipe is a sneaky way to get him or her to eat something healthy (such as, *gasp*, a vegetable). Your little one will have so much fun playing with the ingredients they won’t realize they’re consuming something good for them. Score one for mom! 🙂
12. Minion Bars: Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Bars (Confessions of an Overworked Mom) – These minion bars are a fun, scrumptious, and healthy brown bag lunch idea. Bonus: You can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free oats.
13. No-Bake Fruit “Pizzas” (Two Healthy Kitchens) – Does your little one love pizza? Tempt them into eating some fruit with these no-bake fruit pizzas which are perfect for summer.
With the help of these healthy brown bag lunch ideas, you can save money and lead a healthier lifestyle without giving up taste or investing a ton of time.
One final tip: If your office mates aren’t swayed by these healthy brown bag lunch ideas and still insist on eating out, suggest that they get their food to go and join you for lunch outside to take advantage of the summer sun and fresh air.
For more delicious and healthy recipes, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Low Calorie Recipes Pinterest board.
What are some of your favorite healthy brown bag lunch ideas? Please share in the comments.