With the kids back in school, you may be worried about what exactly your little one is eating for lunch. Is he trading his apple slices for cookies? Is he swapping his nutritionally balanced sandwich for cafeteria pizza? Whether you’ve got a picky eater on your hands, want to ensure your child is eating his lunch, or simply want to brighten your child’s day, there are a lot of fun lunch box ideas out there that are sure to make your child the envy of the lunch room.
Fun lunch box ideas don’t mean simply giving your child whatever he or she is willing to eat (a.k.a. a bunch of sugar that will have the teacher ready to hunt you down). Fun lunch box ideas simply entail making the food you want your little one to eat look a little more appealing. Fun lunch box ideas really are a great way to get your child to try more things and consume more nutritious foods.
With Halloween lurking right around the corner, you might want to try some Halloween inspired fun lunch box ideas. There are plenty of ways to dress your child’s boring lunch box staples up as terrifying treats. Here are four fun lunch box ideas to get you and your little one ready for Halloween! To complete your spooktacular lunch consider tossing in one of these free printable Halloween lunch box notes.
Need more meal ideas for kids? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Toddler Lunch Ideas Pinterest board.
Fun Lunch Box Ideas for Halloween: Mummy Sandwich
- Olive (1)
- Bread (2 slices)
1. Using a small round cookie cutter cut your two slices of bread, cheese, and salami into circles.
2. Assemble your sandwich with the round salami and extra pieces of salami and cheese scraps.
3. Cut the circle cheese into strips and lay them across the top of your round sandwich.
4. Cut 1 olive into 2 slices for the mummy’s eyes.
Fun Lunch Box Ideas for Halloween: Fruity “Pumpkin”
- Clementine Orange
1. Peel the clementine.
2. Cut a small celery stalk and insert into the clementine as a “stem” and voila you have a pumpkin!
Note: When packing this fruity pumpkin with other food, I recommend using Silicone baking cups as they allow you to keep the “pumpkin” intact but also protect the other food from orange juice.
Fun Lunch Box Ideas for Halloween: Black Cat Cookie
- Chocolate Chips (2)
- Chocolate Frosting
- Wilton Edible Marker
- M&Ms (2) – whatever color you want the eyes to be
- Candy Heart (1)
1. Add a dab of chocolate frosting to 2 chocolate chips and place on top of the Oreo for ears.
2. Use your edible black marker to draw on the pupils on the back of the M&Ms.
3. Fasten the eyes to the Oreo with chocolate frosting.
4. Use an upside down candy heart (leftover Valentine sprinkles) for a nose.
5. Fasten the nose to the Oreo with chocolate frosting.
Fun Lunch Box Ideas for Halloween: Sweet and Salty Spider
- Round Crackers (2)
- Peanut Butter
- Pretzel Pieces (4 about 1/2 long)
- Chocolate Frosting
- Raisins (2)
1. Take 2 round crackers and smear both peanut butter.
2. Break 4 pretzel pieces in ½ and place them in the peanut butter for the spider’s legs.
3. Top with the other peanut butter cracker.
4. Use frosting to ‘glue’ the 2 raisins on for eyes.
Note: Want to pack a cluster of spiders for your child’s snack time? Forget sandwich bags (the spiders will just break apart) and try something like Rubbermaid Takealongs. Shallow containers like these available from Rubbermaid are ideal for getting the spiders to snack time in one piece!
Voila! Halloween worthy fun lunch box ideas that are sure to make you the coolest mom ever! If you want to make all of these ideas as one spook-tacular lunch for your child consider getting Bento boxes. These boxes offer separate compartments that will keep the treats from sliding around and breaking apart.
Do you know of other spooky fun lunch box ideas? If so, share them in the comments.