Fun Kid Snack Ideas: Fruit and Chocolate Ladybugs
Well, it looks like things are warming up which means the return of backyard barbecues, sun filled days, and my favorite, the farmer’s market. I just love being able to snag fresh, locally grown produce without paying a fortune. (Side note: To learn how to save money at the farmer’s market check out these tips). Unfortunately, my little one isn’t as big on all this fresh produce as I am. Nope, my picky little eater is determined to let no fruit or veggie pass his lips! To combat this, I’ve invested some serious time coming up with fun kid snack ideas that are healthy.
I’ve shared some of these fun kid snack ideas with you before, including my recipe for coconut oil popcorn. That’s definitely a fav at my house for movie night! However, in light of the return of the farmer’s market, I thought I’d share more fruit and veggie oriented fun kid snack ideas.
Keep in mind that these fun kid snack ideas are by no means just for kids. Trust me, adults will enjoy them too!
Forget greasy potato chips! This fun kid snack idea is the perfect substitute and super easy. Use fresh bought kale or sweet potatoes to make your own tasty chips. These are perfect for casual snacking or for serving up at your next barbecue. I especially love that this recipe calls for so few ingredients. No scary unpronounceable chemicals here!
This fun kid snack idea is a great way to avoid spending money on that darn ice cream truck, cut down on your little one’s sugar intake, and use up fresh fruit. You only need two ingredients to pull this off and the freezer will do the bulk of the heavy lifting. Trust me, you and your family will enjoy this fruity fun kid snack idea on a hot summer’s night!
Fruit and Chocolate Ladybugs
Now, on to my latest fun kid snack idea: Strawberry ladybugs. In my opinion, these are the perfect summer dessert. You get fresh fruit and just a hint of chocolate, which means they’re pretty healthy. This fun kid snack idea would be the perfect addition to just about any gathering (whether it is kid oriented or not).
Bonus: While they look cute and a little difficult, I think you could easily put these together in 30 minutes.
1. Cut the top off of each strawberry.
2. Cut each strawberry in half vertically (so you have two long halves).
3. In a small microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate wafers on 50% power for 3 to 4 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
4. Pour melted chocolate into a decorating bag and cut a very small piece off the tip.
Tip: If you don’t have a decorating bag, you may be able to use a zip-lock bag.
5. Place strawberries on a piece of parchment paper, flat side down.
6. Put a good amount of melted chocolate on the top of a blueberry (where the stem would be) and press it onto the front of a strawberry (where the stem would be).
7. Using the decorating bag, draw a straight line down the back of your strawberry (from the top with the blueberry to the pointed tip).
8. Using a decorating bag, place a few dots on each side of the line, draw antennas coming off of the blueberry, and legs.
9. Crumble chocolate cookies (I used Oreos) around your ladybugs so that they look authentic.
10. Allow chocolate to harden.
Tip: Place in the refrigerator to keep the fruit fresh and get the chocolate to harden faster.
11. Enjoy this fun kid snack idea!
Loving these fun kid snack ideas? I’ve got more! Check out:
- 37 Easy and Quick Healthy Snacks For Kids – These are perfect when you simply don’t have time to whip up a homemade fun kid snack idea.
- 25 Healthy Homemade Snack Ideas for Kids (and Adults) – More fun kid snack ideas that even adults will appreciate!
- Toddler Meals and Snacks – Pinterest board.
- Homemade Snacks – Pinterest board.
Thanks, The Soccer Mom Blog!