Believe it or not, the best dog toothpaste around contains just 5 ingredients and can be made in your own home in under 10 minutes!
The Best Dog Toothpaste – Easy Homemade Dog Toothpaste Recipe
When was the last time you brushed your dog’s teeth? No, you heard me right, I said “dog.” The truth is that dental health is just as important in dogs as it is in humans. The good news is that while we have to pay high prices to have our teeth professionally cleaned twice a year, you can make the best dog toothpaste for next to nothing at home.
Not only can doggie dental issues cause bad breath, tooth loss, and infection…they can also cause chronic pain, and no one wants that for their furry family member! What’s worse is that your dog could be in pain right now and you might not know it. According to veterinary dentist Tony Woodward, “Pets don’t show pain from dental disease. When they’re in pain I wish dogs would paw at their faces or stop eating, but they don’t. As a matter of fact, your dog can have a mouthful of abscessed teeth and still eat just fine.”
This homemade dog toothpaste will help fight bad breath, prevent gum disease, and give you the opportunity to more closely inspect your dog’s teeth, gums, and mouth.
This DIY dog toothpaste is filled with good-for-your-dog ingredients and that’s why I recommend dog toothpaste made at home (versus store-bought alternatives). Here’s a closer look at the ingredients in the best dog toothpaste around:
Baking soda – A gentle, non-toxic abrasive that will help get rid of plaque.
Coconut oil – An antimicrobial and antibacterial that can help keep your dog’s mouth in good health. Plus, many dogs like how this ingredient tastes. 🙂
Turmeric – The natural whitener in this homemade dog toothpaste.
Parsley and peppermint oil – Act as natural breath fresheners.
So, what are you waiting for? Make this, the best dog toothpaste, today!
*The use of fresh parsley really does make this the best dog toothpaste around but if necessary, you can substitute dried parsley
1. Finely chop parsley.
2. Add coconut oil, baking soda, turmeric, peppermint essential oil, and diced parsley to a bowl.
3. Mix well until all ingredients are completely combined.
4. Store homemade dog toothpaste in an airtight glass container in the fridge.
Note: This DIY dog toothpaste will be good for 4-6 weeks.
1. Apply a small amount of the best dog toothpaste to a dog toothbrush or washcloth.
2. Slip your dog underneath your arm and hold him at your side.
3. Slip the toothbrush or washcloth past their lips and brush in a gentle circular motion to remove plaque.
Use this homemade dog toothpaste at least 3 times a week.
This may be the best dog toothpaste around but that doesn’t mean your dog will love it…at least initially. Here are some tips to help you get your dog to appreciate this homemade dog toothpaste as much as you do! 🙂
It would be ideal to start using a dog toothbrush and toothpaste on your pooch when he’s a puppy. However, if you have an adult or even senior dog on your hands, it is never too late to get started!
Set the mood.
I recommend dog toothpaste be used only when your dog is calm and relaxed. When he’s in desperate need of a long walk or a game of fetch is not the right time to subject him to this strange human oral hygiene habit!
Keep the mood calm by keeping your cool with your furry friend. If he’s squirming and you are yelling, nothing productive is going to happen! Try speaking in soothing tones.
Have anything you might need (including your dog toothbrush and toothpaste) right there within reaching distance. Part of being prepared is picking the right toothbrush to use with this homemade dog toothpaste. I recommend a soft bristled brush or a special finger toothbrush or even a simple washcloth.
It’s not all or nothing!
Do not have an all or nothing attitude when using this DIY dog toothpaste. Even if you only manage to brush a few teeth at a time each day, that’s a win! Especially in the beginning, you can’t expect your dog to let you do a full dental cleaning each and every day.
To encourage our little ones to brush their teeth we purchase tasty toothpaste, musical toothbrushes, and much more. Don’t you think your fur baby might need a little motivation?
Start by giving your dog a small treat each time you get the dog toothbrush and toothpaste out. Soon your dog will start associating these tools with yummy snacks and come running! (Note: When I say “small,” I mean small. Go for a tiny piece of cheese or lunch meat the size of your pinky nail or maybe just a piece of dry kibble if that excites your dog.)
In the beginning, consider rewarding your dog for simply letting you manipulate his mouth or letting you touch the toothbrush (without toothpaste) to his teeth. Move slowly and before long you AND your dog will think this is the best dog toothpaste ever!
While this is definitely the best dog toothpaste around, it isn’t the only awesome pet product you can make at home! Here are some of my other favorite homemade pet products:
Want more DIY tips, tricks, and hacks? Follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Fun Pinterest board.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.