This 5 ingredient homemade hand sanitizers recipe is a great on-the-go option during cold and flu season!
Homemade Hand Sanitizers Recipe
As a busy mom, I’m sure there have been one or two (or 10,000) times that you’ve wished you had soap and hot water handy. If those aren’t available, the next best option is hand sanitizer, which is a lot more portable than soap and water. (In fact, I always carry homemade hand sanitizers in my bag.) While you can buy hand sanitizer at your local grocery store or pharmacy, I prefer to whip up this super easy homemade hand sanitizers recipe.
Store-bought hand sanitizers, compared to hand sanitizer homemade, often smell very chemically and artificial. In addition, most of the store-bought hand sanitizers have very high levels of alcohol (approximately 60%), which can cause a lot of dryness and even irritation.
Alternatively, this natural hand sanitizer homemade recipe has a pleasant smell and uses a carrier oil (such as coconut oil) to prevent excess dryness.
In addition to being natural, this homemade hand sanitizers recipe is so quick and easy to make. You simply add ingredients to a bottle and shake to combine. Seriously, you need less than five minutes!
Keep a bottle of these homemade hand sanitizers in your purse, home, office, diaper bag, and gym bag this cold and flu season to keep germs at bay! 🙂
Other wellness recipes and articles I keep bookmarked for cold and flu season include:
- 10 Must-Have Essential Oils for Your Medicine Cabinet
- Homemade vitamin gummies recipe
- Mason jar friendship soup
- Homemade cough suppressant lollipops
INGREDIENTS and MATERIALS
*If possible, opt for a tinted glass spray bottle for your homemade hand sanitizers. Glass because essential oils can eat through plastic overtime. Tinted because exposure to light will cause essential oils to break down faster.
1. Fill bottle ¾ of the way full with witch hazel.
2. Add carrier oil.
Note: If making a 2 oz bottle of homemade hand sanitizer, use 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. If making a 4 oz bottle, use 2 teaspoons.
3. Add essential oils.
4. Add water until spray bottle is filled to the “shoulder.”
5. Cap and shake vigorously to combine.
Here are a couple of tips to get the most out of your homemade hand sanitizers:
- Shake hand sanitizer homemade liquid before each use.
- Keep bottle of homemade herbal hand sanitizer out of extreme heat. For example, don’t leave it in your car during the summer.
- 1 to 2 tsp. carrier oil (such as coconut oil or sweet almond oil)
- Witch hazel
- 12 drops Thieves essential oil
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- Fill bottle ¾ of the way full with witch hazel.
- Add carrier oil. Note: If making a 2 oz bottle of homemade hand sanitizer, use 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. If making a 4 oz bottle, use 2 teaspoons.
- Add essential oils.
- Add water until the spray bottle is filled to the “shoulder.”
- Cap and shake vigorously to combine.