The most commonly gifted foods during the holidays are sweets like Christmas cookies, fruit cakes, and pies. There’s nothing wrong with giving homemade food (assuming you’re a good cook) but sometimes the amount of sugary treats someone receives during the holidays can be a bit overwhelming. This year, if you’re considering an edible gift like Mason jar recipes, try this DIY gifts in a jar idea for friendship bean soup.
This DIY gifts in a jar Mason jar recipe creates a hearty, tasty soup that any friend is sure to appreciate. It’s perfect for the on-the-go individual who struggles to find time to prepare home cooked meals or the perfect dinner when flu season hits.
If you aren’t a Martha Stewart or a Julia Child, have no fear…you can still easily pull off this DIY gift in a jar. There’s no cooking or true crafting involved. Simply purchase the ingredients, add them to the jar, and voila! you’ve got a unique homemade gift that is sure to be a hit.
*Makes approximately 6 servings
¼ C. white beans
¼ C. kidney beans
¼ C. split peas
¼ C. pinto beans
2 tbs. barley
2 tbs. parsley
2 tbs. minced dry onion
1-2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tbs. dried bay leaves
1 pint jar
DIY gifts in a jar tag: Friendship bean soup
Twine or string
Single hole punch
1. Add the seasonings to a small separate sandwich baggie and tie closed.
2. Next, layer all the dry ingredients (beans & barley) in the jar.
3. Place the sandwich bag on top of the dry ingredients and close the jar.
4. Print the gift tag and punch a hole in it.
5. Affix the gift tag to the jar using a piece of twine or string.
DIY gifts in a jar are the perfect option if you’re on a budget this holiday season. You get to save money but the resulting gift looks anything but cheap. Plus, since it’s something you made, the receiver is sure to remember it for years to come.
Want more DIY gifts in a jar and Mason jar recipes? This year Freebie Finding Mom is creating 12 all new DIY gifts in a jar to inspire everyone to have a fun, frugal, heartfelt, and homemade holiday.
For more DIY gifts in a jar follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Mason Jar Recipes and Crafts Pinterest board and check out 25 other holiday DIY gifts in a jar and 25 Mason Jar Cookie Recipes.
- ¼ C. white beans
- ¼ C. kidney beans
- ¼ C. split peas
- ¼ C. pinto beans
- 2 tbs. barley
- 2 tbs. parsley
- 2 tbs. minced dry onion
- 1-2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tbs. dried bay leaves
- 1 pint jar
- DIY gifts in a jar tag: Friendship bean soup
- Twine or string
- Sandwich bag
- Single hole punch
- Add the seasonings to a small separate sandwich baggie and tie closed.
- Next, layer all the dry ingredients (beans & barley) in the jar.
- Place the sandwich bag on top of the dry ingredients and close the jar.
- Print the gift tag and punch a hole in it.
- Affix the gift tag to the jar using a piece of twine or string.