With summer comes hot weather and soaring AC bills. One way to help conserve money is to avoid using your oven (which heats up the house) whenever possible. This may sound like quite a challenge, but there are plenty of healthy cold meal ideas you can utilize that are sure to become favorite family meals.
If you still aren’t convinced, how about trying some out as lunch? That’s right, do a trial run with some of these healthy cold lunch ideas! Having a go-to lunch recipe is cheaper and healthier than going out for lunch, reheating a frozen pizza, or grabbing whatever’s in the break room. When you find a cold lunch idea that you love, then you can spin it off into dinner for the whole family.
Here are 25 healthy cold lunch ideas to get you inspired (and very possibly drooling).
For more delicious and healthy recipes, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s low calorie recipes Pinterest board. This board is chock-full of healthy cold lunch ideas for everyone–and I mean everyone! There’s something for adults and for kids, for work and for school, and for even the pickiest eaters. Let me know your favorites!
25 Healthy Cold Lunch Ideas
1. Chipotle Turkey Pinwheels: This healthy cold lunch idea is easy to make for one or many, so go ahead and take some in for the whole office (when you’re feeling generous–I won’t judge if you keep them to yourself!)
2. Lemon and Dill Salmon Roll-up: The salmon in this healthy cold lunch idea makes it a great choice. Salmon is rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids…plus it’s delicious hot or cold.
3. Fresh Rosemary Chicken Salad: You probably thought chicken salad couldn’t be healthy, but here’s a remake of the dish that’ll leave you guilt-free.
4. Caprese Salad Pita Pockets: At under 350 calories and with veggies and whole grains, this cold lunch is the very definition of healthy!
5. Turkey Caesar Sandwich: Subway has got nothing on this delicious healthy cold lunch idea. Try this recipe when you’re craving the fast-food joint for an option that’s easier on your wallet and your waistline.
6. Thai Green Curry Chickpea Burritos: If you’re a vegetarian (or vegan), give this tasty healthy cold lunch idea a try. Better yet, if you’re considering a meat-free diet, this recipe is a great way to ease into it…trust me, you won’t even miss the meat typically found in burritos.
7. Arnold Palmer Sandwich: This sandwich may not sound super appetizing when you first read the ingredients (ex. eggs and pickles); however, the blend of flavors and textures make it a must-try. It’s actually a good cold lunch idea for kids (like mine) who often love weird flavor combinations!
8. Pesto Chicken Rolls: This healthy cold lunch idea is an easy (and yummy) way to use up leftover chicken.
9. Chicken Salad with Apricots and Almonds Sandwich: Here’s another take on chicken salad that includes apricots.
10. Tuna Cabbage Salad: This healthy cold lunch idea is fresh, crisp, and light.