With summer finally here, more and more families will be hitting the open road. The wind in your hair, the sun on your face, and the scenery blurring by as the road unfurls before you…what’s not to love. Oh, wait, the little ones in the back arguing about who’s on whose side or whining about being bored…yep, that definitely puts a damper on things.
Road trip tip number 1: Be sure to have activities planned to keep your children entertained on long car trips. Leaving them to their own devices is not going to end well.
Luckily, there are tons of travel games for the car available. There are travel games for the car that are suitable for children of all ages; in fact, some are pretty darn fun for adults as well. This family vacation, don’t forget road trip tip number one, and make the entire vacation fun for the whole family including the car ride with travel games for the car.
For more fun activities for kids, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Activities for Kids and Crafts for Kids Pinterest boards.
Here are 25 travel games for the car to consider.
1. Travel Scavenger Hunt For Kids Card Game: At under $10, this travel game for the car is a steal. Plus, hunting for all the items on the cards will occupy kids for hours.
2. National Geographic Kids Ultimate U.S. Road Trip Atlas: Let your little one help plan the trip with this travel game for the car. This book contains state facts, wacky roadside attractions, and other road trip tips.
3. Spot It! on the Road: This product provides 5 travel games for the car in one convenient package.
4. Travel Auto Roadtrip Bingo Vacation Game Family I SPY Set of 3: Here’s an adaptation of bingo for the car.
5. Rubberneckers: Everyone’s Favorite Travel Game: This travel game for the car is fun for kids and adults alike. In fact, you may find yourself continuing the game even after your little one has conked out for his or her nap.
6. Melissa & Doug License Plate Game: Education and entertainment are combined in this travel game for the car. Bonus: There are no loose pieces.
7. Melissa & Doug Family Road Trip Box Of Questions: Whether you want to get a conversation started or play a game (such as trivia), this product can help. Who knew so much fun could be contained in one little box…surely that should be road trip tip number 2 (conserve space whenever and wherever possible).
8. Hangman – Take ‘N’ Play Anywhere Game: Traditional hangman shrunk down to travel size and with magnetic pieces making it a great travel game for the car.
9. Brain Quest Travel Card Game: Keep your little one’s brain sharp over the summer with this travel game for the car.
10. Wonder Forge Mens Richard Scarry’s Busytown Cars and Trucks Card Game: Vibrant photos and an educational slant (learning basic numbers) make this a must have travel game for the car for younger children who are just learning the concept of greater than or less than (when it comes to numbers).
11. Mad Libs on the Road: The whole family will be laughing out loud with this travel game for the car. That’s probably road trip tip number 3: Always keep your sense of humor when on the road.
12. The Everything Kids’ Travel Activity Book: Games to Play, Songs to Sing, Fun Stuff to Do – Guaranteed to Keep You Busy the Whole Ride: If you’ll be doing the driving, this travel game for the car is perfect. Kids can entertain themselves or each other for hours with the activities, quizzes, and games in this book.
13. DISNEY’S CARS Travel Magnetic Tin: Let your child make up his or her own game or just play creatively with this great product.
14. Munchkin Traveling Flash Cards: This travel game for the car is great for little ones just learning to recognize shapes, colors, animals, and the alphabet.
15. Miles of Smiles: 101 Great Car Games and Activities: With games indexed according to age groups, finding a game suitable for your little one is a snap.
16. Are We There Yet? Auto: With over 200 Eye Spy cards, this travel game for the car will keep the whole family entertained for hours and hours.
17. Spot the Difference Travel Card Game: Test your powers of observation with this travel game for the car.
18. Knock Knock Game Pad, 60 Sheets: Five great travel games for the car for under $12…score!
19. Hasbro Travel Guess Who Game Fun On The Run: The classic guessing came has been shrunken down for the car.
20. Zobmondo Would You Rather? Pocket Travel Version: Get your little ones thinking and laughing with this travel game for the car. Example: Would your rather have five bottles stuck on the fingers of one hand for a year OR a bucket stuck on your foot for a year?
21. Kids Travel: A Backseat Survival Kit: This kit contains a lot of great activities for kids; however, a word of warning, if your child is prone to coloring on things like upholstery watch out for those felt tip pens!
22. Tile Lock Scrabble: For older kids, consider this travel appropriate game of scrabble. The board is smaller and the tiles lock in so you don’t have to worry about a big mess.
23. Find It Games At the Beach: This compact travel game for the car is great when space is limited but big fun is needed.
24. ThinkFun Rush Hour: Who knew that rush hour could be fun?
25. Hasbro Travel Battleship Travel Game: Here’s another classic game that’s been turned into a perfect travel game for the car. Enjoy!
There you have it, 25 travel games for the car. This summer, when you hit the open road, do not forget road trip tip number 1: have activities planned to keep the whole family engaged and having fun. With these travel games for the car, you’ll be there before you know it!
Do you know other great travel games for the car? Share them in the comments.
Jeff Legg says
definetly great road trip tools! can really make a long trip pass by
Terri S says
I used to LOVE mad libs!!! I would love the travel battleship! This is a great list! Thank you for sharing.
There are some awesome games for traveling and love the small size that is easy to pack and easy to use. Thaknks for sharing these. They would also be good for on the plane and playing in the motel/hotel room as well.
ashley Bree Perez says
We are always looking for fun games to play!
However, I manage to conserve at the very least $60 per week on toiletries as well as other family objects.