This 4 ingredient recipe for playdough is super easy to make. Choose from either a stimulating or calming playdough recipe!
DIY Calming Playdough Recipe
I love toys that are both fun and beneficial, so when I came up with this calming playdough recipe I just had to share it with you. This DIY playdough is great because it’s fun, healthy, and can be educational. Plus, this recipe for playdough is quick and easy to make; in fact, even little hands can help out! What’s not to love, right?
From a health standpoint, this calming playdough is great because it’s a natural way to help kiddos unwind at the end of the day. Digital activities, such as watching TV or playing video games, can keep little ones up at night, so this is a great low-tech way to tell those little noggins its time to hit the sack! Plus, the repetitive motions such as kneading and rolling can be very soothing. Adding essential oils like lavender to this DIY playdough is a great way to take advantage of aromatherapy. 🙂
Psst! Using this lavender linen spray on their sheets and pillows is another great way to promote relaxation.
From a learning standpoint, this DIY playdough can help kids better develop motor skills, use their imagination, and with the use of some cookie cutters or other tools, teach shapes, numbers, etc. Make this recipe for playdough using different mica powders to achieve different colors, and then you can even use this calming playdough to teach colors.
Tip: Don’t try to pack too much learning into a session with this calming playdough. Remember, the point is to unwind, relax. If you’d rather use this DIY playdough as a learning tool, consider opting for more stimulating scents like peppermint and use it during the day instead of at bedtime.
Another thing I love about this calming playdough is that you don’t need any fancy ingredients. In fact, if you’re an essential oils user, the only ingredient you probably don’t have on hand for this recipe is the mica powder, and honestly, you could make this recipe for playdough without it. (The mica powder is just to add color; if you leave it out, your end product will be whatever color the conditioner was plus the cornstarch.)
You can make a batch of this calming playdough in about 10 minutes, and since there’s no sharp objects or cooking involved, feel free to let the kiddos help out!
*When selecting a conditioner for this recipe for playdough, choose an unscented option if possible so it doesn’t compete with the essential oil(s).
1. Stir together hair conditioner and cornstarch.
Tip: if your calming playdough is too dry add a little more conditioner and work it in. If it is too wet simply knead in a little more cornstarch.
2. Add mica powder a little at a time until the desired hue is achieved.
Tip: For even more calming playdough, opt for pastels like lavender and baby blue.
3. Make a well in the center of the DIY playdough and add essential oils
Tip: Lavender and vetiver essential oils are a great choice for relaxing, calming playdough. However, if you’d rather create DIY playdough that is stimulating and helps kids wake up, opt for citrus essential oils or peppermint essential oil for this recipe for playdough.
4. Fold the playdough over, again and again, to work the essential oils in.
Looking for more fun ideas and DIY projects similar to this calming playdough recipe? If so, be sure to following Freebie Finding Mom’s Pinterest boards for inspiration. Specifically, check out:
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.