Are you one of those “lucky” individuals who loves spending time outside but is a 5 star feast for mosquitoes? Yep, me too. It’s horrible! Being sucked dry every time you set one toe outside kind of puts a damper on summer, in my opinion. The remedies for this problem are just about as bad as the problem itself. You can coat yourself with sticky bug spray that smells like a vat of chemicals or hover near a citronella candle that lets off weird black smoke and also smells like unpronounceable ingredients. This year, I was determined to find a better alternative, and I did, in the form of homemade bug repellent.
I’ve been experimenting with essential oil recipes for a while now and have managed to make everything from homemade beauty products to homemade cleaning products… so I thought “why not homemade bug repellent?”
This homemade bug repellent is pretty awesome. It’s super fast and easy to make. In fact, I’m pretty sure if I timed you you could make this homemade bug repellent in under 5 minutes. I also like that the only “heavy” equipment it requires is a knife to slice up the fruit and a measuring cup. You aren’t going to dirty half your kitchen or have to figure out how to work that food processor you only use once a year to make this homemade bug repellent. 😉
In addition to its simplicity, this homemade bug repellent rocks because it’s not filled with chemicals whose names contain two-thirds of the alphabet. Being able to pronounce (and spell) all of the ingredients in a recipe are big pluses in my book, how about you?
Lastly, this homemade bug repellent is kind of pretty. You’ve got a clear Mason jar, with pops of yellow (lemon) and green (lime) floating around in it. It’s the perfect decoration for summer. This homemade bug repellent looks so much like well, not bug repellent that I think you could easily use it as a centerpiece at a picnic or garden party without feeling like it wrecks the setting.
Personally, the next time my family and I get invited to some kind of picnic or outdoor gathering, I’m going to volunteer to bring some of this homemade bug repellent as our contribution. It may not initially be as popular as say rainbow fudge, but I know people (and their waistlines) will come to appreciate this homemade bug repellent a lot!
Making a homemade bug repellent was way easier than I thought it would be, so I’m a little bummed out that I never tried it sooner! You will be too… so don’t wait. Make this homemade bug repellent today! 🙂
And, if this homemade bug repellent Mason jar project makes you crave other Mason jar crafts and recipes, I’ve got you covered:
- R2-D2 Mason Jar Piggy Bank
- 25 Mason Jar Cookie Recipes
- 18 Mason Jar Gift Recipes with Free Printable Gift Tags
- 25 Holiday Gifts in a Jar
- Mason Jar Crafts, Gifts & Recipes– Pinterest board
- DIY Fun – Pinterest board
1. Slice lime(s) and lemon.
2. Place 3-4 slices of lime and lemon in each Mason jar.
3. Place 4 rosemary sprigs in the large jar and 2 in each smaller jar.
4. Fill a measuring cup with 32 oz of water, add 40 drops of rosemary essential oil, and stir.
5. Pour water into Mason jars.
6. Take tea lights out of the silver containers and place them on top of the water.
7. Light candles, place the jars outside around the area you’re using, and watch your homemade bug repellent work wonders!
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.