Step 5: Sign Up with WordPress
Now that you’ve picked a domain name, registered your domain name, and signed up for a hosting provider, it’s time to decide where to start a blog. By this I mean on what platform will you build your blog.
Obviously, this is up to you. My recommendation would be to go with WordPress. Here are a few benefits of WordPress:
- No HTML or coding knowledge needed – you won’t need to learn any special languages to write your blog.
- Free – Including approximately 1,500 free themes (designs) to choose from.
- Support – WordPress is widely used, so if you’re having issues, a quick Google search will likely turn up answers. However, in the event you need extensive help there are tons of developers and designers who work exclusively with WordPress.
- Plugins – There have been many, many plugins built for WordPress. Plugins extend the functionality of the site.
- Multi-device compatible – Your site will work across all devices including mobile phones.
And it isn’t just mommy bloggers like myself who trust WordPress. WordPress has been used by Facebook, eBay, CNN, and Reuters as well as many other big businesses.
If you decided WordPress is where to start a blog, setting up a WordPress site with Bluehost is really easy.
1. From your Bluehost account, click the “Install WordPress” button.
2. Click “Start” on the installation screen.
3. Choose which domain to connect
4. Click “Show Advanced Options”.
5. Name your site. Remember, you picked a blog name back in step 1 of How and Where to Start a Blog and Get Making Money From Home!
6. Create your WordPress username.
7. Create your WordPress password.
8. Check the box for “Automatically Create a New Database for this Installation”.
9. Check the box for “I Have Read the Terms and Conditions”.
10. Click “Install Now”.
11. After the installation is complete, check your inbox for a confirmation email. This email will include your new website’s URL and admin login information.
12. Click the admin URL and login to your new WordPress blog using the username and password you created in steps 6 and 7.
Now that you have a new WordPress blog, I recommend spending a little time exploring the dashboard and getting familiar with the layout. It can definitely feel overwhelming at first, but you’ll get the lay of the land in no time, I promise!
Step 6: Customize Your Blog
The next tip to start a blog is to make it pretty. Yep, now that you’re setup on WordPress and you have your hosting and domain name covered it’s time to dress your blog up. If you don’t have a strong eye for design, no worries. There are tons of themes (paid and free) to choose from or if you want something totally custom, there are WordPress designers who can help you out. However, that last option will definitely cost you some serious cash.
To change the theme of your blog, from the WordPress dashboard:
1. Click “Appearances” on the left-hand side.
2. Click “Themes”.
3. Find a theme you like.
4. Click “Install”.
5. Click “Activate”.
As you explore the WordPress interface, you’ll find all sorts of ways to customize your blog. Don’t be afraid to experiment. There’s little you can do that’ll actually truly mess up your site. Once you’re happy with the layout and look there’s only one thing left to do….
Step 7: Start Writing!
Yep, the last step (and perhaps the most important of all) in How and Where to Start a Blog and Get Making Money From Home! is to start writing!
Don’t procrastinate! Put pen to paper, so to speak, and crank out content for your new audience!
I hope these tips to start a blog have made the whole process seem a little less intimidating. However, if you still have questions about how and where to start a blog let me know in the comments. I’m happy to help!