Americans love pizza. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact. Don’t believe me? According to pizza.com, 93% of us have eaten pizza in the last month and we eat about 350 slices per second. Yeah, in the time it took you to read that sentence, another 350 slices of pizza were consumed.
Pizza is delicious, easy, and oh, did I mention delicious? However, it isn’t exactly BFFs with our waistlines. Between the ooey gooey cheese and herb seasoned crust, pizza packs a punch in the calorie department. Does this mean that to get fit you have to forsake pizza? Nope, not if you’re willing to get creative. One way to cut the calories on pizza is to use a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust.
This recipe for cauliflower pizza crust may involve a few more steps that simply popping a frozen pizza in the oven but it is totally, 100% worth it. This recipe for cauliflower pizza crust produces a healthy crust with a different (but delicious) taste. Bonus: It only calls for 3 (yep, you read that right, 3) ingredients so you can try this recipe for cauliflower pizza crust without the worry of investing in a bunch of new ingredients you’ll never use again.
For more delicious and healthy recipes, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Low Calorie Recipes Pinterest board.
1 head of cauliflower
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 large egg
Optional: salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Use a pizza stone or line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat mat.
3. Chop off cauliflower florets from the stem, wash well.
4. Place florets in food processor or multi speed blender and run until it becomes a puree about the size of small rice pieces. (You could also use a box grater in a pinch).
5. Place pureed cauliflower in a microwave safe dish, cover with plastic and heat for 2 minutes, stir, and heat an additional 2 minutes.
6. Remove from microwave, allow to cool.
9. Divide in half.
10. Press each down with your hands or flatten with rolling pin until between ⅛” and ¼” thick. This works best if you do it directly on baking surface so you don’t have to transfer it.
Note: If your cauliflower pizza crust seems a bit dry and will not stay together when pressed firmly, add a tsp. or two of water.
11. Top with sauce, cheese, veggies, and meats.
12. Bake for 30-35 minutes until edges begin to brown.
Note: When you use this recipe for cauliflower pizza crust, your crust probably won’t turn out this yellow. I had free range eggs on hand from a friend and the yolks are much brighter orange than store bought.
If you want to turn up the flavor in this recipe for cauliflower pizza crust, consider stirring in oregano, basil, chili pepper flakes, or fresh crushed garlic.