“Not that again!!” If this is a common refrain in your house, from family members who are tired of having the same old, same old for dinner each week, why not spice things up a little?
This Mexican chicken chili recipe is just as fast, easy, and frugal as your typical chili (whether you’re into classic, Texas, or Cincinnati-style chili). However, there are a few key differences that make this quick chicken chili recipe stand out: first, it has chicken instead of ground beef and low-sodium broth, which makes this recipe healthier for you. (I love this type of swap, since it doesn’t taste like your typical “health food.”) Second, the addition of corn, green chilies, and tortilla chips give this chili a distinct Mexican flair. (But it’s still close enough to the original that your family won’t turn up their noses.) But the best part? This chili recipe is so fast and easy to make! It’s the kind of set-it-and-forget-it recipe that is perfect for weeknight dinners and times that you just don’t have the energy to put together a complicated meal.
I like making this Mexican chicken chili recipe when it’s really chilly out (get it?). The warmth of the soup plus the heat from the chilies help to keep you nice and toasty during the last days of winter! I actually recommend keeping these ingredients on hand for when the mood strikes: the only ingredients that won’t keep are the rotisserie chicken and the green chilies, but the rest are probably in your pantry right now!
Now, if Mexican food isn’t your thing (I totally get it: not everyone likes spicy foods), here’s another free chili recipe that I think you’ll love: this easy crockpot turkey chili recipe. It still has most of the same ingredients as the Mexican chicken chili recipe; however, it uses turkey instead of chicken and has less than half the amount of spices.
Okay, let’s get started making (in my humble opinion) the best Mexican chicken chili recipe around!
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pull the meat off your rotisserie chicken and set aside. (I like using two forks to pull the meat off and then shred it, but you can use whatever works for you.)
2. Add the corn and rinsed/drained black beans to a large pot.
3. Mix in the tomatoes, chicken broth, and green chilies.
4. Mix in the cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt.
5. Mix in the shredded chicken.
6. Cook on medium/high heat for about 30 minutes.
7. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy! (I also sometimes add a little sour cream and cheese, but of course you can skip this is you want a dairy-free chicken chili.)
So easy, right? Just toss the ingredients in a pot and cook! Whichever free chili recipe you try (the Mexican chicken chili or the crockpot turkey), I’d love to hear how it went. I hope that your family likes it just as much as mine does!
If you’re looking for other recipes like this Mexican chicken chili recipe, you are in the right place! Not only are there tons of free recipes on this site, there are even more on the Freebie Finding Mom Pinterest boards. Check out Must-Try Foods, Easy Dinner Recipes on a Budget, and Slow Cooker Meals. You’ll find so many recipes saved and organized: with a few clicks, you’re on your way to an easy, healthy, frugal meal!