As you may know, my interest in saving money started at a young age when I would collect change, put it in rolls, and have my dad take it to the bank to add to my savings account. While I know that not everyone can be as passionate about finances as I am, I do hope to encourage my son to take an interest in the topic, specifically in living frugally. One way that I’m planning to teach him about saving money is to make him his very own R2-D2 Mason jar piggy bank.
Not only do I believe that this R2-D2 Mason jar piggy bank will be a great educational opportunity, it is also a cute DIY gift in a jar just in time for Christmas. While I’m not exactly Martha Stewart in the DIY department, I enjoy making my loved ones something personal and from the heart around the holiday season. DIY gifts in a jar are a great way for me to do that as they typically don’t require any special crafting skills.
While my own son is a little bit young for Star Wars, I think he’ll grow into this R2-D2 piggy bank soon enough. In the mean time, he’ll just think it’s a cool robot!
If you have a Star Wars fan in your house, I’m sure you know that the Star Wars merchandise on store shelves is pretty pricey. This Mason jar piggy bank is an inexpensive and heartfelt way to get your Star Wars fan something they’ll really appreciate. You can make this DIY gift in a jar a little sweeter by starting them off with a little money inside! 🙂
Now, I will admit, this craft is a little more complicated than many of the other DIY gift in a jar posts I’ve done in the past. It will require more than a few minutes and minor artistic skills would not go amiss. However, if you’re patient and make sure you give yourself time to focus, even if you’re DIY challenged, you’ll be able to pull this it off. Just don’t rush!
One final tip before you get started on your R2-D2 Mason jar piggy bank: Be sure to read the instructions closely to make sure you’re using the right color of paint!
1. Paint the outside and lid of the Mason jar white.
2. Allow to dry.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to add a second coat of white paint.
4. With a small brush, paint a small black circle on the bottom right of the Mason jar.
5. Paint three rectangles above the circle across most of the front of the jar.
Tip: Reference the picture below for spacing and placement of these 3 rectangles.
6. Paint a long black rectangle on the jar where it starts to curve up to the rim.
7. Finish adding black rectangles by looking at the picture above.
8. Paint a blue rectangle above the long black rectangle you painted in step 6.
9. Using the blue paint, paint an oval next to the rectangle you created in step 8.
10. Add 2 stripes to each side.
11. Paint a blue rectangle on the jar’s lid.
12. Paint 3 black polka dots on top of the rectangle you made in step 11.
13. Add a dot of of red paint on the blue rectangle created in step 8.
14. Allow all paint to dry and start filling your R2-D2 Mason jar piggy bank with money!
Do you know of other Mason jar piggy banks or DIY gifts in a jar? Please share them and any tips in the comments!