Homemade Peppermint Candy Cookies Recipe: Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cookies With White Chocolate
If you had to pick the perfect wintery, holiday treat, would it be hot chocolate or cookies? Why not both? Yes, I said both! This peppermint candy cookies recipe combines all the warm, gooey goodness of cookies with the rich chocolatey taste of hot cocoa. It’s one of my favorite baked goods to make during the holiday season–and let me tell you, it goes fast in this household! (No one will tell if you decide to hide a few of these peppermint chocolate cookies for yourself!)
These peppermint candy cookies are so simple and quick to make–and you probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your kitchen cabinets already! What sets this recipe apart, though, is the addition of peppermint essential oil. I prefer peppermint essential oil over peppermint extract because the essential oil gives it an extra kick of delicious minty flavor. Plus, peppermint essential oil has a number of health benefits you might not know about–like soothing upset stomachs, relieving muscle and joint pain, clearing up cold symptoms, and getting rid of headaches! Sure, peppermint candy cookies aren’t exactly healthy–but if you can make them a little better for you, why not, right? Give yourself the opportunity to indulge–just be smart about it!
*When ordering, please insert 2751941 for the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID. Contact me with any questions.
If peppermint and chocolate isn’t your thing, don’t stress: you can find a whole bakery’s worth of recipes on this site! Here are just a few of my favorite recipes for the holiday season:
Recipe for Buckeye Brownie Cookies
Christmas Shortbread Cookies Recipe
12 Days of DIY Gifts in a Jar: Chocolate Christmas Cookies in a Jar
Christmas Wreath Cookie Recipe
Christmas Tree Cookies Recipe: Christmas Tree Peanut Butter Blossoms
68 Christmas Cookie and Candy Recipes
41 Easy Christmas Cookies
13 Diabetic Christmas Cookie Recipes
Now, without further ado, let’s get started making (I’ll just say it) the best peppermint chocolate cookies! Here is the recipe.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg, large
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 stick butter, softened
2-3 drops Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint rounds or peppermint sticks
2 blocks vanilla almond bark or melting discs
1. Preheat oven to 325℉
2. Cream together butter and both sugars until smooth.
3. Add egg and mix until just combined.
4. Add baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa. Mix well.
5. Mix in 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil.
6. Scoop mixture onto baking sheet in balls about 1” in diameter.
7. Bake for 10-11 minutes. (Be careful not to overcook them. Since these peppermint candy cookies are dark–thanks to the cocoa–it’s possible to accidentally over bake them.)
8. Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
9. While you are waiting for the cookies to cool, place your peppermint candies in a small food processor/chopper and pulse until they are broken into fine pieces.
10. Next, melt bark or candy melts for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until completely melted. Then, stir in 1 drop peppermint essential oil into the melted chocolate.
11. Use a spoon or fork to drizzled melted white chocolate over the cookie tops.
12. Sprinkle crushed peppermints over the chocolate immediately, while the chocolate is still soft (this is important so that they stick well).
Of course, the last step is to enjoy! If I were you, I’d take these peppermint chocolate cookies to a holiday get-together, to work, to your kiddo’s classroom…in fact, you can take these delicious cookies pretty much anywhere, and they’ll always be welcome!
If you loved this chocolate peppermint cookies recipe and are looking for more holiday baking inspiration, you can follow my Pinterest boards on Cookie Recipes, Christmas Recipes, and Decadent Desserts. You’re sure to find a cookie, dessert, or other recipe for any occasion!