Whether you are an avid chef or not, there’s a good chance that during the holidays you’ll be preparing some food. Family dinners, friendly gatherings, office parties, and more will require your participation. While all of these get togethers can be a lot of fun, if you aren’t a confident cook or simply don’t enjoy being in the kitchen all that much, they can feel overwhelming.
Here’s a little trick to help you feel better: Get a signature dish. You don’t have to be great at cooking everything. You simply need to have one or two dishes that you make like a pro. Pick foods that are pretty popular and in no time, your dishes will be the talk of every party.
If you’re not sure what dish you should perfect, consider this DIY gifts in a jar recipe for mini grasshoppers. This DIY gifts in a jar recipe is a relatively easy treat that is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. Plus, it’s not the standard dessert of cookies or cake.
Another advantage with this DIY gifts in a jar recipe is that it can be used for events year round. While it does have a peppermint flavor there’s nothing that designates it as a “Christmas only” dish.
*Makes approximately 12 servings. 1 jar = 1 serving.
12 (give or take) 4 oz. mini jelly jars
1 ½ C. Oreos, coarsely chopped (perfect job for the food processor)
3 tbs. butter, melted
3 C. mini marshmallows
½ C. milk
¼ C. Crème De Menthe (you can also substitute a few drops of peppermint extract and green food coloring if you wish)
1 ½ C. heavy whipping cream
Chocolate chips for topping (optional)
1. Use a food processor to coarsely chop the Oreos, leaving the filling in.
2. Add the melted butter to the Oreos and mix well. The mixture will be wet and crumbly.
3. Scoop a few tablespoons of the Oreo mixture into each jelly jar. Don’t be stingy if you like crust.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the mini marshmallows and milk. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
5. Once cooled, add in the ¼ C. of Creme De Menthe and allow to set while you make the whipped cream.
6. Use a hand mix to beat the whipping cream 4-5 minutes on medium/high. The cream will form stiff peaks.
7. Scoop most of the whipping cream mixture into the marshmallow/milk mixture and reserve some for topping the mini grasshoppers.
8. Generously top the Oreo crusts with the green yummy marshmallow, milk, and Creme De Menthe mixture.
9. Give each a small dollop of whipped cream and top with a chocolate chip (optional).
What are you waiting for? Give this DIY gifts in a jar recipe for mini grasshoppers a try now!
This year Freebie Finding Mom is helping people everywhere have a frugal, fun, heartfelt, and homemade holiday with 12 DIY gifts in a jar available on FreebieFindingMom.com. For more DIY gifts in a jar follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Mason Jar Recipes and Crafts Pinterest board and check out 25 other holiday DIY gifts in a jar and 25 Mason Jar Cookie Recipes.