Freebie Finding Mom’s beauty guru Allyssa shares one of her frugal beauty secrets: Using coconut oil on hair to get beautiful and healthy locks.
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask
You’re probably already familiar with the numerous beauty and health benefits of coconut oil…and if not, where have you been? 🙂 Coconut oil is great for everything from losing weight to treating acne and preventing wrinkles. In fact, there’s practically no end to the health benefits of coconut oil. Today, let’s look at how using coconut oil on hair will produce luxurious locks that’ll be the envy of everyone around you! For a cheap and easy DIY hair mask, all you need is coconut oil (which you can buy on Amazon.com) and extra virgin olive oil. Using coconut oil on hair (and extra virgin olive oil) will keep your hair soft and moisturized. It’s especially great in the winter. Here are the super simple steps to using coconut oil on hair and a few pro tips.
4. Mix the coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil together until you get a paste consistency.
5. Apply mask for super soft and moisturized hair.
For more DIY beauty tips, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Beauty Tips Pinterest board.
Using Coconut Oil on Hair Application Tips
– I prefer using coconut oil on hair from about mid-way down to the ends because that tends to be the portion that is damaged and needs some care. I don’t put the mask on my scalp because it tends to make my hair feel greasy; however, if you have very dry hair or frizzy hair using coconut oil on hair towards the scalp can do wonders.
– For the best results, leave the mask on overnight. Be sure to put a towel or some kind of protective covering on your pillow! If this isn’t an option, try to leave the mask on for at least an hour.
– For best results when using coconut oil on hair, put a shower cap over your head and blast your hair with a blow dryer on warm for 20 to 30 minutes.
– When it’s time to remove the mask, break out the shampoo. You’ll definitely want to shampoo everywhere the mask has been. Oil and water separate, so the shampoo is necessary to remove the oils. If you simply try to wash the mask out with water, you’ll be left with a greasy filmy residue.
– The great thing about using coconut oil on hair is that you can’t really overdo it. To start out, try using this mask every other day. Once you start noticing a difference in your hair (trust me, it’ll be quick, probably after the first week), cut back little by little. Eventually, you should only need to use coconut oil on hair once a week in order to maintain your movie star worthy locks.
I hope you enjoy this coconut mask tutorial. It’s cheap, easy, and beats any restorative hair mask from the drug store. Try using coconut oil on your hair today…you’ll be amazed.
Do you have tips on using coconut oil on hair? if so, share them in the comments. Also feel free to share before and after pics.