How to Make Lotion Bars: Homemade Citrus & Clove Lotion Bars
Wondering how to make lotion bars? Great, you’re in the right place. Wait! Even if you weren’t sitting around wondering how to make lotion bars, surely you’re a little curious, right? I mean, knowing how to make lotion bars could totally save your life some day! 😉
Okay, learning how to make lotion bars probably won’t actually save your life but the knowledge could come in handy. For example, when it’s the dead of winter and your elbows feel like medium grain sandpaper or when you realize you need a heartfelt yet frugal last minute gift for that great aunt (or uncle) you’re always forgetting about.
See, knowing how to make lotion bars can definitely come in handy!
Sure, I realize that they sell lotion (in bar form and otherwise) at the grocery store but knowing how to make lotion bars has several advantages over knowing how to buy lotion bars. For one, with homemade lotion bars you control the contents meaning you can easily avoid chemicals, irritants, and other suspect ingredients. In addition, making your lotion bars at home can save you money and allow you to create a heartfelt gift.
One of the reasons I set out to learn how to make lotion bars was so I could ensure my skin was getting something nutritious. These homemade lotion bars include plenty of skin nourishing ingredients including Shea butter and coconut oil. That means these bars won’t just sooth skin but help “cure” it.
Don’t worry, learning how to make lotion bars isn’t complicated (it’s certainly not physics or calculus!). In fact, you can tackle these citrus and clove lotion bars in about 10 minutes (minus the time they need to set and firm up) with minimal ingredients and tools.
Bonus: These homemade lotion bars make a great gift for men or women because their scent is less feminine or masculine and more clean and refreshing. I love when I find a “unisex” homemade gift. However if you aren’t crazy about the citrus and clove scent you can easily customize these lotion bars to fit your needs. Here are some of my other favorite easy lotion bar recipes:
- Creamsicle lotion bars – These bars combine orange and vanilla for a sweet scent you won’t soon forget.
- Sunscreen lotion bars – These bars will protect and nourish your skin!
- Coconut oil & lavender lotion bars – Feeling stressed? These bars can help thanks to the addition of lavender essential oil.
Of course, you don’t have to use any of my favorite lotion bar recipes. (Don’t worry, I won’t be offended.) 🙂 You can easily create your very own custom lotion bars by using a combination of 2-3 essential oils you love. So… don’t be afraid to get creative when figuring out how to make lotion bars!
Note: Consider adding the dried orange peel if you’ll be using these homemade lotion bars in the shower as the orange peel provides some gentle exfoliation.
1. Add beeswax, Shea butter, and coconut oil to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Note: If you prefer, you can add the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl and melt them in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.
2. Remove from heat and stir in essential oils and dried orange peel (optional).
3. Quickly pour mixture into silicon mold.
Caution: Be quick but also be cautious – the mixture will be hot!
4. Allow lotion bars to firm up.
Tip: You can speed this step up by placing the mold in the freezer or fridge.
5. When completely set, carefully remove lotion bars from the mold and store in a cool dry location.
Now that you know how to make lotion bars, are you ready to tackle more homemade beauty products? (Don’t worry, they’ll be easy peasy, I promise!) If so, be sure to stock up on inspiration by:
- Browsing Freebie Finding Mom’s homemade beauty recipes
- Following DIY Beauty (Pinterest board)
- Following Homemade Beauty Products (Pinterest board)
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.