There’s a lot to love about winter: Cute sweaters and boots, twinkling holiday lights, roaring fires, and of course, baking; however, what’s not to love is the effect the season has on my skin. I’m talking about rough, red, and all around irritated skin. Not fun… or pretty. Obviously, there are plenty of products that can help; unfortunately a lot of them are either expensive, ineffective, or unnatural (loaded with chemicals that can be even more drying and irritating than the winter weather). Luckily, I have a not-so-secret weapon: Homemade peppermint body butter.
Body butter in general is a great option for soothing itchy skin as it tends to be more moisturizing than your typical lotion or lotion bars. This homemade peppermint body butter specifically is just what your dry skin is craving. First off, it’s homemade so you don’t have to worry about drying ingredients like those you find in many store-bought options. In fact, the ingredients in this homemade peppermint body butter only have your skin’s best interest at heart. Ingredients include:
- Shea butter – which contains vitamin E, an essential nutrient for skin repair.
- Coconut oil – a natural moisturizer.
- Peppermint essential oil – used to relieve muscle pain, inflammation, and itchiness.
- Green tea – which has antioxidant properties, which can prevent signs of aging like fine lines.
Yep, when you use this homemade peppermint body butter, you’re truly indulging your skin! 🙂
In addition to the awesome ingredients, something I really love about this homemade peppermint body butter is the rich and creamy consistency. It doesn’t feel heavy or super oily. Plus, once you rub this homemade peppermint body butter on, it melts at body temperature and is easily absorbed by thirsty skin so you don’t feel greasy afterwards.
Bonus: The essential oil gives this homemade peppermint body butter a delicious scent that makes me think of the holidays every time I use it.
Thanks to the wonderful winter-y scent and great ingredients, this homemade peppermint body butter makes a fantastic heartfelt gift for anyone who’s skin could use a little TLC. Yep, even the man in your life! (However, if he’s not a big fan of the scent, consider gifting these citrus clove lotion bars as they have a lighter, cleaner scent.)
This homemade peppermint body butter can stand alone as a nice little gift or a stocking stuffer but if you want to take things up a notch and really “wow the crowd”, I recommend pairing it with some other peppermint scented gifts like:
- Peppermint and coconut oil Mason jar gift set
- Peppermint bath bombs
- Peppermint mocha foot scrub
- Peppermint foot soak
Another option would be to pair this homemade peppermint body butter with this gingerbread body lotion for a holiday themed gift set.
This homemade peppermint body butter isn’t difficult to make. In fact you can be rubbing some on your skin in as little as 30 minutes!
Tip: If you aren’t sure about the peppermint scent, you can still take advantage of all of the benefits of body butter. Check out this article on how to make DIY body butter.
Whipped Peppermint & Green Tea Body Butter
1. Place green tea bag in a bowl with 3 teaspoons of boiling water and set it aside.
2. Add Shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax granules to a small pan. Melt over medium heat, stirring frequently, until completely liquified.
3. Remove from heat and pour into stand mixer bowl, and place the bowl in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture begins to gel and somewhat solidify.
Tip: If you leave the mixture in too long you can just remove it from fridge and allow it soften up at for a few minutes.
4. Add peppermint essential oil and green tea water to the bowl.
5. Whip on high for 5-7 minutes. The consistency should be light and fluffy.
Tip: The tea may give the body butter a soft green tint.
6. Transfer whipped body butter to a jar with a tight fitting lid (ex. Mason jar).
Enjoy your homemade peppermint body butter!
Note: If you store this homemade peppermint body butter at room temperature, it will remain soft. However, if it gets too hot it may get melty. If your homemade peppermint body butter appears a little too soft and runny, simply chill and re-whip!
Now that this homemade peppermint body butter has soothed your skin, you’re ready to tackle other DIY bath and beauty products! Get inspired by following Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Beauty and Homemade Beauty Products Pinterest boards.
Tip: If you’re looking for something a little less messy and a little more mobile consider making some homemade lotion bars to use with or in place of body butter. Get started with these creamsicle lotion bars.
– – – – –
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.