Homemade Flea Shampoo
If a member of your family is of the furry four legged variety, there’s a pretty good chance you’ve had the pleasure of dealing with fleas at one point or another. No matter how you look at it, dealing with these itchy pests is no fun. It’s time consuming, expensive, and worrisome. While I can’t prevent your fur-baby from ever bringing fleas home again, I can help you get rid of them and save money with homemade flea shampoo.
Homemade flea shampoo is an easy and inexpensive way to rid your pet of unwanted guests. Making it only takes a few minutes and the ingredients are pretty cheap (in comparison to most flea prevention or removal products). Plus, this recipe for homemade flea shampoo really works. Forget buying product after product just to find your furry friend is still infested with fleas… this will take care of them.
Another huge advantage of homemade flea shampoo is what is in it. Say goodbye to harsh, foul smelling substances that make you think “is this even safe?” Homemade flea shampoo contains natural and soothing products like lavender and peppermint essential oils. These ingredients are gentle on your pets fur and skin and will leave him or her smelling awesome.
½ cup water
⅓ cup Dr. Bronners Castile Soap (mild)
2 tsp. olive oil
5 drops peppermint essential oil
5 drops tea tree/melaleuca essential oil
5 drops lavender essential oil
Storage container – like a Mason jar and/or pump bottle
1. Wet your dog thoroughly.
2. Suds up with flea shampoo well.
Note: How many pumps you use depends on the size of your dog, for a small dog use about 5 pumps.
3. Leave flea shampoo on for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse dog thoroughly.
For flea and odor control I recommend bathing once a week with this homemade flea shampoo.
I would not recommend using this recipe for homemade flea shampoo exactly as is for cats, as they process things differently than dogs and other animals due to the way their liver works – peppermint and tea tree are a no-no. You could use lavender, rosemary, and cedarwood instead. Please make sure these are a quality 100% therapeutic grade – if you would not ingest them don’t put them on your pets. Please also use your best judgement, do your research, and speak with your veterinarian.
For more great, frugal DIY projects like this homemade flea shampoo recipe, be sure to follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Pinterest board DIY fun.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.